How old is to old for siblings to share a bed?

Siblings of the same sex and siblings of the opposite sex?

I was just thinking about my ex's niece and nephew. They are 13 and 14. They have their own rooms but are always sharing a bed. The parents think its sweet. I find it inappropriate .

What are your opinions?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Siblings of the same, it doesn't matter as long as they get along.

I would separate a brother/sister when the first starts entering puberty. It may appear sweet and innocent, but I couldn't completely trust their hormones.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• 13 and 14 is way too old.
    Pucki

Answer by Pucki at 2:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• I am not sure, but i would say that is way to old in my opinion. Although my DH and his sister shared a room until they were 16 they were twins though, but I still thought that was weird. My brother however was really close to me we are 7 years apart my mom had a heck of a time getting him to sleep in his own bed. my sister and I shared a room with my brother until he was about 3-4 years then she put him in his own room and he would always end up in my bed in the middle of the night. He slept in my bed until he was 8 years so I was maybe 15. He would end up there in the middle of the night.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• Part of me says as soon as they start puberty but then again in other countries it is perfectly normal for a whole family to shower together and sleep together in one bed. This makes me wonder about perspective vs. true inappropriateness. I guess when I think about it as long as it is just bed sharing there is nothing wrong with it until some gets uncomfortable. what works for this family may not work for everyone though...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• If the kids are happy, and the parents are happy, I don't see the issue. In previous years there were only one or two bedrooms in a home, it was normal for all the kids (and sometimes the parents too) to share a room. Why is this stuff so "weird" for people now?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• If there is enough room/beds for everyone to have their own, then that's ideal. If that's the case, then I would want opposite sex siblings separated by 8-9 anyway on a permanent basis. For same sex, I don't think there's really an age limit. I still slept in my sister's room and bed with her on weekends until I went to college - it was just fun! But I never crept into my brothers beds at night.
    However, we go on vacation every summer with my parents and siblings - my sister insists that both of her kids (12 yo boy and 9 yo girl) need separate beds for the week that we are there. I think that for a few nights, to save a few bucks, it would be fine.

Answer by missanc at 3:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• My personal opinion is that by the age of 10 children should be in their own bed and stay there. There is the exceptionally scarey storm that would be just cause as a norm, I say no. IMO you are setting them up to explore areas that it is best left unexplored. And if they do "go there" then it is 99% the paren's fault
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• I believe that all kids should have their own bed right from the start. Their own crib.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2012

• I think it's always inappropriate. Give the kids their own bed. My SIL has 7 year old twin boys. They have a bunk bed but she dismantled it so they can share a full bed together. I find it odd.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2012