Need ideas

so we went to a meeting tonight for my oldest sons high school baseball team. Before we left the house I told my dh they are going to be asking for volunteers to work in the snack shack and we are NOT going to do it. He agreed (I think). Well after the meeting he asked (I thought jokingly) if I wanted to look at the snack shack sign up sheet. I shot him a dirty look and said "No, Let's just go." Well he went to look at the sheet and started trying to sort out a good day for him to work in the snack shack. I told him in front of everyone "We are not doing this."
I am not anti volunteer, but he has done more than his share of volunteering for the team this year we are talking several hours a day 5 - 6 days a week. I am tired of it. He asked for one reason why he should not volunteer for the snack shack. That is what I need help with...the reason. Telling him I am tired of sharing his time is not good enough I tried that.

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 6:06 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• Don't tell him he can't. Tell him that you find that the 5 hours a day every day that he already donates to the team takes him away from his family so much and that you all miss him.

Answer by Bmat at 7:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• If it makes him feel good to work for your son's baseball team, there is no good reason for you to tell him no. And you know that too, or else you would have thought of a reason on your own.

Please don't take this response to be b*tchy ... I can't get my tone across properly while typing...

If the only thing you want is to spend more time with him, volunteer with him. If you choose not to do that, then realize that your son is only in school once and it gives your DH great joy to help as much as he can.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 7:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Is there any sort of moderation here? Insteadof hours a day, 5-6 days a week, can he do maybe just 1 or 2 days? I know the teams need help and they depend on parents do it, but it does burn out parents who are doing more than their fair share. Maybe compromise with him about it. I understand both sides as a parent of 3 very active kids.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:08 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Ask him to limit his number of days for volunteering. 5-6 days a week IS a little much. 1-2 days is plenty. Tell him how much you miss him and want to spend time being with him and not share him nearly every day of the week.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:30 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Well maybe you should sign up as well... make it a family thing. He may get the hint that you aren't getting enough time together, and you are making sacrafices so next time he may not bother signing up.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:10 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Can I be honest???? Who is volunteering at that snack shack besides him....I know I hate to be the "Debbi Downer" or the "negative nancy" but no man volunteers himself like that....Especially if his needs are being met at home while the kids are at play....There are a bunch of niave women on this sight. 67% of married men cheat....Be realistic....Its ok to stick it thru the cheating, but if you bust them fair and square then the reward is promising...new car house etc...Be real Women...Seriously..I can tell you everything to do with it....You will bust him in a second....All men would cheat if they thought they could get away with it.....period....
    Alexmygirl

Answer by Alexmygirl at 5:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• a bunch of fat (seriously they are morbidly obese) women, I swear he is not cheating we just moved here and we don't know anyone, He honestly thinks it is the right thing to do., But I got him to back down. I told him help at practice all you want, but no snack shack. He agreed.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 6:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2009