Introducing new baby foods

I make my own baby food (or I have up to this point anyway) and I not sure what to try next for our son. So far he has had rice cereal (I know a lot of you think it's "garbage but the doc recommended it because "no one is allergic to rice and it has protein and iron in it.") apples, pears, and carrots. I am going to do sweet potatoes next. What other first foods are good? I am thinking that brocolli will give him gas, and there isn't much nutrition in corn. I am just at a loss.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son loves the butternut squash! He also gets what your son gets plus bananas, peaches, green beans and sweet potatoes. I bought prunes for him to try but he hasn't had them yet because I'm scared of what they're going to do to his next diaper lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• God it's been so long, I would try green beans and peas.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:39 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My kids ate bananas right away. After they were eating solids well, I gave them anything! LOL! I would even mash food on my plate for them. I think they were probably about 9 months at that point.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:47 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Take a look at the babyfood aisle...at the single ingredient jars...make a list from those, maybe? That would give you some ideas of where to go next?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:04 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Banana, avocado, sweet potato, oatmeal, you name it. How old is your L/O?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• he's just about 6 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• OOH yeah, butternut squash is a good one too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my son loves avocado, so far it's his favorite food!
    bananas go over pretty well, too.
    depending on his age you could introduce legumes--like chick peas or other beans.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• You've got to check out wholesomebabyfood.com. I make all my own baby food and have used this site as a resource from the beginning. It has sample menus, tells you how to prepare each food, has recipes, and age recommendations for each food. As others have already suggested: green beans, avacado, peaches, bananas, butternut squash (that's a BIG hit with my dd). I gave my dd sweet potatoes around 6 mo. and it seemed to give her gas so I waited until she was about 8 mo. to feed them to her again and she's done better with them now. Broccoli and corn are actually recommended for 10 months +
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2009