It's a Win?

Nine days after inauguration, Obama achieves a major Congressional victory, House passage of an economic stimulus bill by a vote of 244-188. It wasn't even close.
What do you hope Senate does with the Bill?
Were you happy with the original Bill?
If you were able to write the Bill, what ideas would you have to stimulate the economy in your town?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Obama is staking his whole presidency on this bill. If the economy doesnt improve, and the best economist have said it wont with this bill, then its a very bad thing for Obama. No I wasnt happy with the original bill or the one that passed. I think there is too much in it that has nothing to do with stimulating the economy. I think when broke down only about half has to do with anything that will help and the other half is for silly things.
    If I was making one for my community I would offer education and job retraining for people who lost their jobs and were on unemployment. I would freeze pay for county & state workers. I would offer tax incentive to small businesses who bring new jobs & open businesses in our area. I would reform the welfare program to include community service, education and free daycare so people could learn to live better then stay in poverty. Those are a few things but so much more that could be done.

Answer by gemgem at 7:59 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I think gemgem should run with Palin in 2012!!! LOL! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• GEMGEM 2012! Totally Agree..
    Well Said!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:12 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Hang on to your britches, because the one they're voting on in the senate on Monday is even bigger than the 800B monstrosity.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• OL thatd be a hoot and a lot of kids at the whitehouse.

Answer by gemgem at 8:28 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Giving Gem a hand clap :)
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• You go gemgem! I second that! I would also add to your proposed package to give money to ICE to enforce a no tolerance policy on hiring illegals that are stealing our jobs, forcing builders and remodelers to hire American workers. The bill should never be passed with all it lobbyist special interest payoffs, let me start with taking the millions of dollars proposed to ACORN! Paying off the lobbyist and special interest groups that helped NObama into office is transparency for real!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:14 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Op, what ideas would you have to stimulate the economy in your town?

I recently attended a Chamber of Commerece meeting where we talked about our town. We have a population of 35,000. We are a small town that will most likely NOT see stimulus money.  Rather we are left to have mixed emotions and questioning  HOPE that the larger city closest to us receives money? And then hopefully their CHANGE effects our town? We don't need infrustructure.    We need industry in the vacant GE, Delphi, and Tire Plants.  We need small businesses building up in our vacant downtown. We need people coming back to live in our town for the industry, paying taxes that will then rebuild the roads.  We need corporate tax cuts, payroll tax cuts, etc

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• gemgem is much more educated then Palin ever will be................
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jan. 30, 2009