Is this illegal?

If a military member wants to scrap with a civilian for negative reasons? Not for fun, but to actually hurt the civilian? What I mean is not really ask, but tell the civilian to come down and he will have a hay day with him, basically antagonizing the civilian to scrap with him so he can hurt him. 

I heard that it is illegal for a military member harming a civilian is illegal because they are trained to kill. Is this true?

And is threatening them illegal? What should I do about this situation?

meliscool72

Asked by meliscool72 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2012 in Military

• If it's all in writing save screen shots and forward or mail it to his superior officer... and take that all to your local police and file complaint!! That should put an end to it!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• Assault is generally illegal.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 5:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• How is he still in the military if he was molesting your child? Why do you still have any kind of contact with him? Did you file charges against him for sexual abuse and rape? The threats against your boyfriend pale in comparison to that!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• That is assault no matter if you are military or not...and yes, assault is illegal.

I don't think threatening is actually illegal, but it certainly is immature.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• Who is threatening whom?

Military or not has nothing to do with it, I wouldn't think. One person harming another is illegal. I have no idea what advice to give about what you should do because I don't know the back story
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 5:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• scrap with a civilian??? Like scrapbooking?? I have no clue what "scrap with a civilian" means.

As for assault & threats... illegal no matter if you are in the military or not.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• First, did you file charges against your exhusband for harming your child?

Second, I think it'd be best to just ignore your ex husband's rantings on Facebook and ask your boyfriend to discontinue any contact with him. Your ex is telling you to go down there so he can beat up your boyfriend?

I mean, it's not like you're going to drive down there to do that, right? It's just posturing.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 6:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• just all the police and document everything
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• Harassment and assault are crimes no matter your status. He would face charges both from civilian authorties and the military. He would be tried thru the civilian legal system then would also be tried in a military hearing for violation of the codes of the UCMJ. He'll prob get kicked out of service from military with dishonarable discharge and serve whatever punishment the civilian courts decide. You always run the risk of having to serve time in military prison . Tell him to grow up and walk away. The military requires you to hold a higher standard to yourself and your behavior. Either wise up and fly straight or be ready to lose it all. I would also have the situation reported to his First SGt so something can be done about it before people are moved to violence and bad choices. I understand his position on this issue but that scumbag is not worth jail time or losing military benefits.
    LBoogie0617

Answer by LBoogie0617 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• Assault is always illegal, HOWEVER, in this case, with one person being military trained, the charges would go up to assault with a deadly weapon. Anyone who is trained in combat can be charged with assault with a deadly weapon. If someone trains as a boxer and then gets in a bar fight with another individual the charges would include assault with a deadly weapon opposed to regular assault. Same with the military.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 11:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2012