How is that Humane???

we called the humane society yesterday cuz we werent sure if we could aford our dogs vet bill.. did you know they charge 45 dollars.. and they put down ALL pits, rotts, dobies and mixes of those breeds... without even giving a personality test.. and for the rest of the dogs they dont let you know what ius happenin with your dog.. how is THAT humane?? luckily we found a vet that takes payment plans but still HUMANE MY ASS!!! what do you think?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:06 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Pets

• its not humane. i went to my humane society not long after christmas and the conditions those poor animals are in are just down right cruel.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:09 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It isnt humane but they have their rules so just dont do business with them. They work on donations so if people dont donate or do business with them then theyll feel the pinch. Also my advice would be to look into pet insurance. We had to do that and its been very very handy to have and helped our pocketbook in the long run.

Answer by gemgem at 8:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• No it's not humane but it's nothing new. This has been going on for years. But if you really want to make a difference why not volunteer your time there, or start a petition. In the county I live in if your animal is picked up by animal control and not claimed within 4 days then it's sold to research, they don't even attempt to adopt them out. There is currently a petition to have that changed going around. The reason why these particular breeds are not given a chance is because so many people "abuse" the breed. They are no more dangerous then a ankle bighter if socialized properly and taken care of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• it sucks, but it may be a reality they had to make tough choices about. if they were having trouble with those breeds - whether it was liability, or financing personality testing, or working extra to prevent dog fighters from adopting etc etc they may have found that there are expenses associated with those breeds they simply cannot bear. think about it - assuming what I say is true - just for discussions sake - if they used up all their money on these breeds and had to close their doors bc they couldn't pay the bills, wouldn't that be worse? I'm not saying this is certainly the case, but I think it's a strong possibility and just wanted to give you some food for thought.
    at least they are up front about their policy so you can make the choice about whether that's something you are willing to do.
    just remember, these places are usually working on a shoestring budget and can't bear too much extra.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Their are laws on this, only so many animals a year can be put down. Most of the breeds you mentioned are not adoptable especially when they are older & you have no clue how they have been treated. Regarding the conditions, what do you expect from a company that lives off donations & gets more animals as donations than they do money, food, etc. I would say that about 40 percent of the animals they get don't even live in the building, they have foster homes/businesses. They do the best with what they have & from what you were saying, you wanted to drop off an animal that needed medical attention which ups their operating costs even more because you aren't the only one that has tried or even done it. Lots of people go get an animal without thinking about long term costs. What about kenneling for vacations, medical costs for their annual checkups, some need meds regularly and there are always those emergencies med. issues?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It sucks but there is only so much they can do. They usually have limited funds and that needs to go to animals that are the most adoptable. I'm sure they'd much rather be able to save every animal but in reality, they just can't.
    Anonymous

• It's certainly sad for the dogs. I know in my province pits and anything related are also euthanized. There is actually a pitbull ban in our area, the dogs already living at the time of the ban are allowed to live out their lifespan but they cannot be sold or adopted out. My ILs actually had a pitbull who they were badly neglecting and I wanted to put in an anonymous tip to animal control because they were forcing the dog to live outside alone during the hot summers and the freezing winters and were not socializing the dog at all and were not vaccinating him or getting him any vet care, but I knew if I called animal control he wold automatically be put to sleep due to his breed and the fact that he was not neutered (also illegal in our province to not neuter the existing pits.) If you do have to surrender your dog, look for a rescue for that breed in your area. Most do not euthanize without a medical reason.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• yeah i found a stray and tried to drop it off at the local humane soc. and they wouldnt take it because it wastn abused! i asked them,, like seriously i would have to beat the dog and then you would take it... they said yeah... i found a home for the dog, i also told them i would write the local paper and tell everyone to stop their donations,, assholes!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• you should definately look into pet insurance..for my dog it would only be $24 a month. i definately think its inhumane, but there's only so much we can do..maybe your specific humane society puts All pits and certain other breeds down, but not all..i have a pit. i would pray no one would kill her if she got out.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I think it's insane that a humane society would just put down pits, rotties, and dobbies just b/c of their breed. The problem is that there are some towns that do have a law that makes these pets illegal to have. Personally I think it's stupid b/c I have a pit (that I adopted from the pound) and I would hate for somebody to put him down just b/c of his breed b/c he's a sweetheart. But I don't really like the humane society b/c they say that it's a no kill shelter when in reality they put down a lot of animals b/c instead of saying sorry we're full they'll take in an animal and then start putting animals down.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2009