Can constipation cause a fever?

I know this might be a crazy question but I am serious. My 3 yr old has been potty training and she will pee all day long but will not poop in the potty. Well when she poops in her panties it is "goat poop" a big hard ball (sorry TMI) anyway, she didn't poop for 2 days and last night we were up with a fever and now she is telling me her belly hurts. Can someone ease my mind please tell me if this is crazy? I know a fever is usually an infection but she hasnt been sick NO other sighns just fever and the NO poop thing.
thanks
Sarah

1boy1girl4me

Asked by 1boy1girl4me at 8:52 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In my experience as a nurse, yes constipation can cause fever. Before we send a patient out to the hospital due to fever we always have to check if that is the problem. But you may just want to call the pedi just in case.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• First off, she needs more fiber in her diet, enough fresh fruits & veggies will do the trick. Yes you can get a fever from not going to the bathroom, not usually in only 2 days though. But if she is backed up enough, she can get toxic, & very sick. You need to call your Dr.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• thank you both!  She eats ALOT of fruits i mean 2 apples and oranges grapes banannas all that type stuff.  My kids dont eat junk much.  They will have chips or a cookie if we are out but they eat really good.  I've called the dr he is telling me to watch her for 24 hours!  WTHeck?  i dont play when it come to my kids, you know.

1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 9:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• yes it can. All the toxins that should be pooped out are sitting in the body!
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I am haveing the same problem. Sebastian has always had a problem with holding his poop.... but we finally realized he was allegic to milk protien and switched to soy. Now we are potty training and he started doing the same thing again it has been atleast 2 weeks since he has had a good amount. Just small ones here and there. Now he has a fever that won't stay down.. I took him to the doctor and she says it is a cold and has nothing to do with the constipation. I don't buy it because he isn't coughing. He just coughed in her office because he was pretending ( he does that when his bro and him play doc) but the doc didn't get it! What ended up happening with your lil one.
    flowerchild56xo

Answer by flowerchild56xo at 4:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

flowerchild56xo

Answer by flowerchild56xo at 8:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Its not crazy! my son is 19 mo old has was constipated for 2 days then got a high fever between 103 up to 104. I gave him tylenol and it would break it , but it would come right back. he had no other symptoms except his belly hurt. i took him to the dr and the checked him over and said it was a virus. Moms know best and gave him a suppository he had 2 big bowl movemnts and his fever did not return!! i was frustrated at these dr's nurses for not listening to me. follow your motherly insticts and i know severe constpation can cause fevers
    hcain333

Answer by hcain333 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I had my four year old daughter at the doctor last night. Her symptoms were a fever of 103.9 and extreme stomach pain to the point shere she wouldn't even move. After some test, they did an abdominal xray, she has compacted poop. Another words constipation. After giving her some laxatives and tylonel to break the fever, she pooped like 1 hour later. Her fever hasn't returned since. And she woke up today asking for M&Ms for breakfest (of course I didn't give them to her).
    degnermom

Answer by degnermom at 11:56 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• My 1year old has a fever and is so constipated he doesn't even want to walk around. Are suppositories ok? What can I give him for dinner tonight that will help him? He's still got his appetite, and is drinking his milk and water ok.
    Any home remedies I can try before Tylenol?
    SupaDupaMomof2

Answer by SupaDupaMomof2 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2012