Minimum wage raised to $10 an hour....good or bad?? ***edited***

Do you think this is a good plan of action by our govt? If so why or why not?

I found a site that tells whats supposed to happen when the minimum is increased, and some of it is opposite of some of the comments made here. Do you agree with this? Why or why not??

http://raisetheminimumwage.org/pages/qanda

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Great because ultimately, it will give more opportunities to the people who need them the most.

I need to run, wish I could stick around for this conversation.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 11:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• It should be at least 10 an hour. I don't know how people live on much less than that.
    Anonymous

• It would help but as it is businesses will up their prices to accomodate the extra pay for labor, companies would have to lay off because they can't afford to pay everyone, so it would be bitter sweet I think.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• The federal minimum wage should be raised.

Minimum wage in California is $8 an hour. Above the federal minimum, but not enough.

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• Anon...you can't, even living by yourself, ain't happening. I tried, and I couldn't. I suppose if I didn't need to eat or drive to work, it may be doable.

IMO, raising the wage would make everything else higher too. A person who is making $11 an hour is living ok as long as he/she wasn't spending money like Obama. But if the wage is raised, cost of living may go up, and/or the cost of food and other things as well.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• "The federal minimum wage should be raised. "
    This will be the wage that may be raised.

I guess this may be considered one last hail mary of sort by Obama to get re-elected.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• To go from $7.25 to $10 right away, no I don't think it would be good. Luvmygrlz gave an excellent reason. Businesses will have to raise prices and the people who are making $10 an hour and up already will now have an increase of their bills, foods, and other necessities. This will only create more low income families.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• They're talking about doing this? I can see both sides.
    o0orange0o

Answer by o0orange0o at 11:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• Raises in minimum wage will not provide anyone opportunities. I will raise the cost of living because the price of goods and services will go up to accommodate the min. wage raise. When has it ever worked before? Now, I will say that it might help someone keep their head above water for a while if they are already sinking, but it doesn't usually last long.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• Wasn't that just a plan in Santa Clara county, CA? Cost of living there is really really high.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2012