Anyone else notice the cost of a summer cookout just jumped dramatically?

I was shocked when I saw ears of corn selling for 37 cents ea., whole watermelon at $7.00 ea & my usual meat package from the meat market jumped $9.00!!! I can't eat hot dogs & my burgers have to be from lein meat. I'm wondering how we will survive with these increasingly out of hand prices! Anyone else feeling the pinch???!!

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:03 AM on Jun. 8, 2012 in Money & Work

• When I bought corn a couple of weeks ago, it was $0.25 an ear. Meat's gone up a little for us, but not so much that it's shocking yet. The prices that shock me are for cheese and milk - although even milk has dropped a little.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• YIKES! Our prices are no where near that. Ears of corn 10 cents each...watermelon $4 each. Not sure about meat....we're hamburger and hot dog people.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• Our prices aren't nearly that high.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• Corn here was a dozen for 2.00,watermelons are 4.99 or 2.99 at Aldis. Meats stayed the same but I only buy it when it's on sale.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• To shop for meats, Yallz meats ** lol stupid comp.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:42 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• Corn on the cob last weekend was 69 cents EACH. I did not buy any.
    jain.doh

Answer by jain.doh at 10:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• Milk is now almost $4/gal. I have noticed some increases. I try to do bulk buying at Costco and other places. I found a Hispanic fruit and vegie store that have cheap prices for ex. 5 limes for $1, onions at $0.89/lb and carrots at 2 - 1# bags for $1. It helps.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• Even in Los Angeles our food prices are high, but from experience it doesn't matter where you move ;to the cost of living generally balances out. We moved to Wyoming- housing prices and gas prices were much lower, but the pay was also much lower, food prices were higher and the medical insurance wasn't as good so medical cost more.

Here in Los Angeles, housing is much higher....but my husband's pay for the same job is much higher too, our medical benefits are much better, and food prices are better.......we have virtually the same lifestyle. We moved up to the high dessert because housing was cheaper and he could have the same pay (this was years ago) but the cost of transportation.....and air conditioning brought the cost right back up to the cost of living down here in L.A.

Anyway....EVERYTHING seems to be outrageously priced right now!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• I live in OH too.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2012

• Cost of everything has LEAPED!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2012