I really don't want to work anymore....

I am really not licking my current job, I am sick of going into peoples homes and being treated like a slave. I do home health care and it's just gotten to be more than I feel I am capable of emotionally. I find that I am not that great with working with people, I don't like having a boss and taking orders from people. I do need money though and have to have some kind of income. I recently have sold the rights to some short stories and poems, under a pen name due to the nature of the stories hehehe, and I have made a pretty good profit from that. Actually what I bring in from writing is actually more than what I bring home from doing the home heath care. I would love nothing more than to quit my job and focus on my writing full time. The issue here is that my mom says that it is not a stable job, I can't count on a pay check all the time, and that I need a real job and selling stories and poems is not a job its a hobby. The last pay I revived from selling my stuff was $500.00. I can get anywhere from 25 to 50 bucks per poem and about 100 to 150 for a story. Even If I only get 500 a month that is more than I make at my REAL job where I bring in 200 a month. So I don't know, should I listen to my mom and stay where I am miserable or focus full time attention on what I want to do?

sistersage

Asked by sistersage at 8:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2012 in Money & Work

• 200 kind of doesnt seem worth it if you can make 500 off of one story.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2012

• $200 a month?!
    There has to be something else you can do for that kind of money that won't cause you the same amount of stress, allowing you to put more energy and focus on the writing.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• If your "real" job is only $200 a month then you're not working that many hours. At $7 an hour that's only 28 hours per month or 7 hours per week or 1 hour per day. I don't see how that can cause a whole lot of grief and suffering. Personally I would not call that a "real" job. Wait until you actually have to get a real job and go to work 40 hours per week 5-6 days a week. If you don't like you one hour per day job go find another one that might actually cause you to suffer. A job where you have to answer to someone 40 hours per week regardless of what you do.

Sorry I don't feel sorry for you.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• You must not do home health care too often,, the lady who stays with my Aunt at night gets $125 per night just to sleep,, Are you sure you didn't mean $2,000? I would say if you are a CNA or LPN, then check out a doctor's office or hospital setting. How often do you work to make only $200?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:53 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• How old are you? I wanna hope you are a minor,because making statements like "I don't like taking orders from people" is unrealistic sweetheart,no matter what you do you will always have a boss and someone will always be above you giving you orders,that's life.I think you should find another job than may be a little less stressful and continue to do your writing on the side for now. $200 dollars isn't much a month especially if you have a child.Just because you can't have you your whole dream right now doesn't men you don't have a dream at all.
    GivingTreeMommy

Answer by GivingTreeMommy at 10:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• What about trying to find something else to replace the home health care and also continue do the writing? I found my two part time jobs on care.com and sittercity.com. I pick the listings I respond to and carefully consider if it is a good match. The two websites offer not only child care jobs, but pet care, senior care, housekeeping, and care.com has a category of "care gigs". Use the pulldowns to see the categories. There is no charge to have a profile and respond to job postings. The closer you live to a city the more jobs are available. You are independent this way and pick and choose what works for you. Also I have done a couple of "gigs" on Craigslist. I have helped a family pack up to move, done some gardening, etc. Make sure you check out the ads carefully. Meet people for the first time at a coffee shop, etc. and don't give personal info until you think it might be a match. Just ideas.......GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• Follow your dream! Work on it ful time and good luck to you.
    What has already been published?
    jain.doh

Answer by jain.doh at 10:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• If you like erotica why not sell romance enhancements? (yes, I mean sex toys, lotions and potions). You're obviously comfortable and well versed on the subject. You can work one day a week and make more than you are now!
    I didn't want to work anymore either, and now I don't!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2012

• Wow i never said you were lazy,i said get another position but always know you will have a boss no matter what that is life.I never said give up on your dream...work with it hold it....don't think because you can't have it full time you can't have it at all.Im on the same boat,thought im younger i have to work around childre, life,home,marriege but still trie to reach my goal in life.
    GivingTreeMommy

Answer by GivingTreeMommy at 2:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2012

• Not to be snarky, but if you are planning on making writing your life's work...get and editing program
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2012