Kids eating salt

My oldesr daughter who's now, 18 did this when she was younger & I took it away from her.
Now, my 12 yr old son - is doing the same thing.
My mom gave him some money to walk to a gas station with a friend to buy a soda and candy. Not a big deal.
But he bought a little bottle of limon lime salt, chili lime salt & lime salt.
When i got to my mom's house he was accross the street with the neighbor kid, who's the same age.
And i saw they were eating something. I called for him to get his things & that we were going home.
He left the salt in the car, so i took and hide them.
He did realize and ask for them a few hours later.

Also, reading text on my kids phones I found out he also bought an engery drink - Monster.

How do I stress even more that these things are not healthy?
Have you had these issue with your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jun. 8, 2012 in Kids' Health

• That is strange. My concern would be that salt tends to dehydrate you - think about how thirsty you get after eating a salty meal. I'd be really afraid that he'd get himself really dehydrated doing this.

Even though they are flavored salts, I would consider taking him to his doctor to see if he has any kind of deficiency that the salt would replace or that would make him crave salt. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is iodine, which we can only get from salt, and it does something for your thyroid. But there might be other stuff.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• That is odd?? Maybe they have a vitamin or mineral deficiency. I would take him to the Pediatrician & get blood work done.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:43 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• I grew up on them. Lucas are good although my taste buds have gotten too old to enjoy them like I did. I have no problem with my kids eating them in moderation. When they start sucking down multiple packets in one sitting, then I will hit the brakes. They are not allowed energy drinks though.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• Orange Kool-Aid and salt was the best! when I was a kid, lemon was good too.

meh- don't sweat it, if you do not want him to consume these items, tell him so and have him face consequences for disobeying. But actual concern- not so much.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:49 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• I like mild salt on things if it doesn't already have salt. but with my kids i wouldn't let them eat just plain salt like that at their young age.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 11:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• These are the salts people put in their beer or mix drinks - I'm guessing. I think, they just like the sour taste. Reading my son text messages the boy from across the street ask where is the salt, bring it back over here.
    I don't understand what the attraction or addition would be to eat salt, lime or lemon stuff.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• yes, i know exactly what you're talking about. i have them for my own beer :)
    salt tastes good.
    it's used on/in everything from chocolate to steak. it's a flavor enhancer.
    as for not understanding some people prefer sweets, some salty- just a taste preference.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• That give me idea, he's going to start workouts for football next year - i can possably scare him into thinking if he eats all this salt he'd really screw himself up & wind up in the hopital.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2012

• You need to make a Dr. appt to have this checked. I heard of a child who wanted to over salt everything & it turned out he had some kind of deficiency. It was serious b/c it went untreated. It may be nothing, but it's better safe than sorry. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2012

• I agree talk to your doctor.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 3:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2012