How do you discourage you child from gun play?

My 2 year old is obsessed with guns, he calls them boomers. We don't even have TV, but he has seen them on the Ratatouille movie. I thought he would just give it up, but he turns everything into a gun and trys to shoot rats. Its been months! He also points it at me. I hate it, it disturbs me. Should I ignore the behavior, punish the behavior or try to educate him about guns?

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope I dont discourage it. I have 3 boys and I figure boys were playing cowboys and indians long before I was around. I think teaching gun safety though is as important. You can teach him playing is ok but real guns are not toys. My boys and girls all know how to shoot a regular gun, minus my 4 yr old. My dads a marine and has taught them all how to use one and about gun safety. They hunt, fish, camp etc etc. So its really the approach you take I think. Good parenting is what insures our kids are good upstanding citizens, not playing with a toy. I know if things get bad my kids will know how to hunt and defend themselves.

Answer by gemgem at 9:30 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• there is something built in the the male genetic makeup that makes guns utterly fascinating. generally, you can't fight it. what you can do is steer it. we have rules here about 'guns'. they are that a gun is never EVER pointed at another person, even a finger gun or something being used to represent a gun. the second is that the guns are only for shooting 'monsters' - rats would be ok too lol. and third that guns are never used to shoot any humans in play. these rules also apply to anyone playing at our home, regardless of their own home rules. combined with that, as our kids get old enough, we take them to the gun range to fire pistols and rifles. this is a two-fold approach. one - it demystifies the gun, and two it shows them the destructive power of a gun. later we will probably take them hunting to reinforce that guns are for this type of thing, and that they have the power to kill.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I have to agree wholeheartedly with gemgem. My husband is SF in the Army so there is no way that I can shied my son from the fact that guns are real. He is an avid hunter, so we have guns.  They are of course kept in gun safe, but when my son is older, he is going to know that they are there.  We will also be teaching my son gun safety.

Just remember guns don't kill people, people kill people with guns.

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 9:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Pfft.. I was playing cowboys and indians when I was a kid lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• hes three he is just playing as he gets older and is able to understand then start explaining it to him but no way would i punish him be thankful he has an imagination. my daughter likes to play with her kitchen set and pretends to eat food alll the time does that mean she is going to be obese? i am not being ignorant but they are just babies playing that is all.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I don't discourage it. I educate.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• first u should tell him to stop. also that guns are bad and they hurt people. then if he doesnt stop, then look at his face to see if he might just be doing it just because u told him no. if he is, just ignore him. he wants u to tell him no and give him at least negitive attention because negitive attention is better than no attention. if u just keep ignoring him, he eventually will stop. because he thinks that it doesnt bother u. after that, reward him with a good toy. also tell him he is a good boy for stopping.
    SpiderMama123

Answer by SpiderMama123 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Guns don't hurt people, people hurt people.

Guns are inanimate objects. Guns can't do a damn thing by themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2009