MAJOR SLEEP ISSUES!!!!

joshua used to be a great sleeper. two hour naps every two hours, bed at 9 and up at 8 waking up once during the night for a bottle and then go right back to sleep. for the past 2 weeks he has been waking up in the middle of the night for hours at a time. he wants to play and climb on me. he wont drink his bottles. it is 8am right now and hes been up since 5. i used to be able to lay him down and he would turn his head and fall asleep. now i have to lay with him or rock him with a bottle and then i have to stay holding him until i know hes in a dead sleep otherwise i put him down and he flips over onto his stomach and then sits up, half asleep and all. all i want him to do is sleep through the night with the one feeding. i dont even care if we cut the feeding out cause i can deal with that.

lululovexox

Asked by lululovexox at 9:28 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he learning anything new? To crawl, to walk, any new skill? Lots of babies have interrupted sleep patterns when learning new skills. Is he teething?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I thionk he's gotten used to mommy. thats what my daughter was doing and i had to let her stay in her crib n when i didnt rush in after a couple days she cried for a bit n went back to sleep
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It sounds like he's just trying out all of the new things he's learning whether it's crawling, pulling up, talking, etc. Be sure you interact with him as little as possible when it's time for him to be sleeping. Also, maybe it's time to switch his schedule around a bit. For instance, if he was still taking 3 naps during the day, maybe cut it down to only two naps, keeping him awake for a long period in the middle of the day so he can get all of his playing out of his system. If you do that you may also want to up his bedtime to 8 instead of 9. (my dd sched. wake 8am, nap 10-12, nap 3-5, bedtime 8pm) If he doesn't seem interested in his middle of the night feeding I'd go ahead and drop it. Try only going in and covering him up and telling him good night. If he continues to play in his crib just let him. He may then end up going back to sleep on his own. This will only be a phase.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• How is he napping during the day? still every 2 hours FOR 2 hours? Like flalbert suggested I would most def. change that ....I would say it's a lot of trial and error! Changing his naps and his bedtime routine and times ...Also when he wants to play in the middle of the night I would just leave him in his crib with a few toys and go back to bed...I wouldn't turn on the lights and encourage him to play...I'm sure it's frustrating and I wish I had more advice for you! g'luck!! xoxo

MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 7:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Gage went through a phase like this, and actually, last night, after I texted you-- he woke up at 12:30 and stayed awake until 3:00 AM!!! Then he got up at his usual 7:30, so we were both pretty tired & cranky today. lol He did this before when he was teething & just starting to crawl, and he's doing it now while he's teething again & trying to walk. I think that it has a lot to do with teething & new developmental skills. Gage only naps for about 2 & 1/2- 3 hours total at the most throughout the day. That's usually broken into two naps, a longer one in the morning & shorter (45 minutes-ish) in the evening, around 3:00. He goes to bed around 8:30. Try wearing him out during the day. Not to the point of him being fussy & over-tired, but just try to get him to play more & sleep less. Also, if you think teething could be part of the problem, a dose of Motrin at bedtime or some Hylands teething tablets can help A LOT!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:18 AM on Jan. 31, 2009