Should Stimulus Package Fund Filipino Vets?

Senators say their goal is to stimulate the U.S. economy, but the Senate's economic recovery package spends up to $198 million in lump-sum payments to aging Filipino veterans of World War II -- two-thirds of whom don't live in the U.S. and are unlikely to be pumping much money into the economy.
The money, long-sought by Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Daniel K. Inouye, Hawaii Democrat, would go to about 15,000 living veterans who served in World War II as a part of U.S.-led forces and who were promised postwar benefits, including U.S. citizenship.

How does this classify as Stimulus?
Does anyone else feel like each Democratic Politician wrote down their wish list, and POOF we were presented with a STIMULUS Package?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/30/senate-bill-allots-millions-to-filipino-veterans/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I think the stimulus should be about stimulating the economy but hey thats my simple thinking LOL.

Answer by gemgem at 9:45 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• World War vets deserve the money. They were protecting the freedoms of U.S.

I hope both sides are thinking about vets not only Democrats like you are saying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I think there is a time and a place for everything.
    A STIMULUS Package is not the place for this. I think if we have obligations, that we should meet them ~ Rather a seperate Bill should be presented seperate from the Stimulus. Because it is not seperate and because it does NOT involve stimulating the economy, I would argue that it is closer to Pork than Stimulus.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Filipinos who joined our military and fought? Filipinos who were promised benefits? They deserve the benefits. I agree the stimulus package isn't the place for it, but I'm sadden that it hasn't been done sooner.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Things like this does NOT stimulate our economy. This bill is FULL OF CRAP! Crap being lobbyist and special interest groups agendas......it is horrible!! The bill should ONLY have in it that which will stimulate our economy NOW, today, not anything else. If another bill needs to be constructed to meet any obligations to the Filipino vets, that should be completely separate and voted on later. Rescuing and stimulating our economy is the crisis now and should be the ONLY issue in this bill!!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:31 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• well, i don't think it should be part of the stimulus package, but we do owe the money to these vets, and we should honor our promises.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• This will not stimulate our economy at all. While they surely deserve the money, as do all our veterans, this package is not the proper place. I still say they should remove each and everything that DOES NOT create longterm or permanent jobs. If that would be the case, there would be NO stimulus package.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• we also owe money to our own vets so when are they going to get there money that is due to them, why the heck do we keep helping others and not ourselves?? and no this does not help the economy at all. obama just wants to look like the good guy..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2009