Shut up and enjoy your fantasy Utopia adult content

So we have all these posts today about how you respect another community or culture by sitting down and shutting up while they go through their assorted religious or social rituals, even if those rituals are illegal, even if they are offensive. Then we have the posts saying that since whoever is speaking has no problem sitting through someone else's religious interjection into a secular event, nobody else should have a problem with it either.

That's very easy to say, in the abstract. How about some concrete examples? Would you sit and remain silent if the prayer you were hearing included sentiments like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvhIYNzBtLs&feature=relmfu

Or perhaps ones like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XnzQTR934

This one is good - damns multiple faiths and denoms in one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoOYSdndBRk

For those who take the sit down and shut up, you're not the majority, so you're not entitled, approach - would YOU sit down and shut up if any of those pastors gave the invocation at your local town hall meeting?  There are parts of the country where each of those viewpoints are "the majority", so that makes it ok, right?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I'm not the one lying NP. What you are asking ~ and by 'you' I mean ANYone who wants another to 'pray somewhere else', 'have a moment of silence in lieu of prayer' (although that one does allow what I think is right which is equal time for anyone/everyone), etc. is for people to DENY their god, their belief, their faith, etc. so that 'you' can somehow more fully enjoy your own life.

I deleted my other answer because as I said, I'm done. 'You' have no right to ask that of anyone else. There is no logical or sane person who would ask that and actually expect people to comply. You yourself won't do it ~ many here have stated that even being quiet and respectful is more than they are comfortable with. If you won't, why should someone who worships a god you don't like do so for you?

Now, I am done. I may well be absent for a while. My mom was diag with stage for pancreatic cancer/mets liver and lung today.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 12, 2012

• You have a problem with people praying or otherwise enjoying their 1st amendment rights if those people have chosen a different path.

No, you're still lying. And while your family members have my sincere sympathies for their situations, I'd appreciate you not using me as your personal scapegoat to vent your frustrations about their situations. There are more appropriate places for that than this.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Jun. 12, 2012

• NP, I briefly watched two of those ~ and NEITHER were at any official function. Now, I've got a sister with stage3BII cervical cancer and my mom waiting on a biopsy for primary pancreatic/met liver. I'm done. You have a problem with people praying or otherwise enjoying their 1st amendment rights if those people have chosen a different path. That is YOUR problem, not theirs. You insist on spending more time griping about others instead of exercising your own (unless your actual belief is that it is your calling to eradicate the Abrahamic religions). Frankly, I think it's pathetic. No one is forcing you to worship any god, but you can't find any peace with allowing others their own choice. You seem to think they have to live their life according to your rules ~ not what the laws says, and worse, not as their God teaches. No one CARES what you don't like. Most people start figuring that out when they are two.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 12, 2012

• I'd like to see (been busy and stressed lately and maybe my fingers typed something I have no recollection of) where I defended David Duke or any other mouthful of hate ... so link me up with that please.

Right here, in this question, when your response to the possibility of any of the "pastors" linked in the OP giving the invocation at a government meeting was this:
    " perhaps you should learn to revel in your offendedness, because someone praying at a gov't. meeting is NOT the gov't. establishing squat ... it is the first amendment in action."
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2012

• hat's a far cry from your insistence that NO faith should be represented anywhere except behind closed doors where no one might hear about them or from them.

And I'm sure you'll be more than happy to provide a link where I've ever said such a thing, besides in your own imagination. Consider anything you have to say until you do irrelevant.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2012

• My 'Islamaphobe' tendencies? I have a right to my opinion, and imo a religion that has the main selling point of 'we won't kill you if you join', or randomly blows up strangers when a member has a bad day leaves itself open to others saying they disapprove, and sums up hate by my morals. Ive never said 'keep it in the mosque or at home' like I read here all the time about Christians.

I disagree with you because your interpretation of the 1st caters only to those who agree with you and it isn't all about 'you'. Freedom for ALL means everyone, not just you, and not just those who don't offend you. It certainly doesn't mean that I have some duty to actually 'shut up' because you have some beef with God. I'm not offended by other 'gods' or prayers to them, including Islam (unless it goes boom). I'm not put out by others doing their thing OR waiting until they are done. Respecting the rights of others doesn't offend me.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 12, 2012

• All of that might make excellent arguments NP, except for the fact that I have stated that " Short of hate speach or just vile ranting, " and that I have no problem with other faiths being represented anywhere in public. That's a far cry from your insistence that NO faith should be represented anywhere except behind closed doors where no one might hear about them or from them. Sharon doesn't ignore statements that make an argument she puts forth a moot point.

I'd like to see (been busy and stressed lately and maybe my fingers typed something I have no recollection of) where I defended David Duke or any other mouthful of hate ... so link me up with that please.

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 12, 2012

• What's really odd, though, is Sharon following you around voting you up while you defend a speaker who says Jews hate Gentiles and are trying to take over the world. Are you two so adamant in disagreeing with whatever I say, that you're actually willingly defending David Duke? What kind of moral foundation are you working from, where calling me wrong is apparently more important than your own self-proclaimed values?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Jun. 12, 2012

• Awwww. Does it bug you that in spite of your foul mouth I absolutely will not agree to disagree while you insist that Christians should have no rights out in public?

No, it makes me sad that someone so ignorant of the law is still allowed to vote. You are the queen of hyperbole, though, aren't you? "Christians should have no rights in public" is the same as saying you can't have a single-faith prayer before a government meeting? I guess there's only one conclusion here, that you DO, in fact, agree with the examples in the OP, otherwise, why would you be fighting so hard to defend them? I knew you had your Islamophobic tendencies. I didn't realize you were also an anti-Semite and anti-Catholic.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:29 AM on Jun. 12, 2012

• Awwww. Does it bug you that in spite of your foul mouth I absolutely will not agree to disagree while you insist that Christians should have no rights out in public? Does it bother you to look around and see/hear others like me who WILL take their beliefs into the nearest voting booth and elect people who do not think that Christians should be seen (and give all their money away) but not heard?

What you want to take away is not something that I, or any other American, is going to give up without a right ~ particularly when I see the inherent flaw (or outright lie) in some of the arguments made by those fighting for freedom from religion. Anyone fighting to take away freedom of religion from others is tossing their own in the nearest trash can. All the potty mouth in the world isn't going to make me walk away from that one, and I can manage my argument with OR without it (and in most languages lol).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:13 AM on Jun. 12, 2012