Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

is this endometriosis or something more?

For about 4 months I have had a dull ache in my ovaries (way worse on the left side) that turns into a sharp pain like someone stabbing you with a knife. I went to the dr and they did an ultrasound to check for ovarian cysts but everything came back clean. my dr said he's not sure but it might be endometriosis and put me on a birth control pill and wants me to try that for 3 months and see if it helps. i have been taking it for about a month but the pain is still there and is now accompanied by lower back pain and once in a while sharp pains down my thighs.. It now hurts to pee but not in uti hurt way just extreme pressure on my ovaries when i pee... any ideas thanks!!

Answer Question

Asked by Beeautiful13 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2012 in Health

Level 2 (12 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • First off, your Dr. should NOT have just put you on BC thinking you "may" have endometriosis. WTF?? A simple endometrial biopsy should be done to rule it out. It is done in the Dr.'s office & takes minutes. REALLY find a NEW OBGYN. That is just absurd to just put you on BC. Have a biopsy done & if it is negative for endometriosis then find a Good Urologist. GL!


    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2012

  • Good grief. Sounds like it's time to find a new doc.

    Answer by mrsjon at 5:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2012

  • You can't diagnose endometriosis with an endometrial biopsy. Endometriosis is endometrial lining that is growing in the abdominal cavity. It is diagnosed through an exploratory laporoscopic procedure. I have had 4 of these. The last one included a hysterectomy. BC pill have been known to help the issue, but there are lots of other ways to treat it as well. The best way is through BC pills and staying on them so that you don't menstruate (have a period). Some docs recommend every 3-4 mos some say once a year and others say no periods at all. Just depends on your doc and what information they have. Do some research and find a doc who is very well versed in this condition. I have an amazing doc who specializes in this sort of problem. Good luck b/c I know it is painful.

    Answer by coala at 7:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2012

  • As coala stated, you can't diagnose endometriosis with an endometrial biopsy. You would need exploratory surgery. Prescribing BC pills is very common because it can help and is not invasive. Give it a little more time to see if it helps.

    Answer by MrsMWF at 9:20 PM on Jun. 12, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.