Do you think staying home or going back to work should be about the bus?

I am planning on going back to work from a stay at home mom in two years. I need to due to money issues . But , part of me wants to continue to stay home and do babysitting in my home like I have been just so I can drive them back and forth to school.... I am extremely worried about my kids are the school bus. I know that sounds crazy but with the experience I have had it is crazy on there! no control and nuts and I just do not even feel safe putting my kids on. I worry about them on it at all, and it is hard to go to work when you feel your kids are not safe.

miss372

Asked by miss372 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I understand your fears, anxieties and worries about the bus, that being said if you have to go back to work is you have to go back to work. What kind of work do you do? Can you work mothers hours, nights, or arrange to have lunch/break at times when your kids need transportation to and from school. Or what about another local mom friend that would be willing to help with transportation in exchange for you to help her with her child care needs, you might be able to work out a great arrangement that is beneficial to both of you............ I hope that you are able to make something work!
    Best of luck :)
    wendyb27

Answer by wendyb27 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• it's probably been a long time since you rode on an elementary school bus. maybe you should look into how it's handled now before you make a judgement without all the pertinant infomation.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Does your school offer before/after program that would work with your drop off/pick up schedule?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I absolutley do not want to have to put my son on a school bus. I understand your fears. I'd rather be a sahm with less money than put my kid on a bus.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It would be nice if you could find a position that works in your schedule. I work part-time, during the hours that my kids are at school. It doesn't need to be an all or nothing proposition. It is nice to stay home (I only work 2-3 days per week so I get a taste of both), but it is also nice not to always be stressing over money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i would be carefull
    some school district put pk-12grade on the same bus.
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 10:31 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• your kids are most likely will get hurt at school then on the school bus, school buses now a days have very strict rules, i know here in Utah if you get into an altercation on the bus you get one warning and then after that if you get into another you are off of the bus for the rest of the year. i only know this because hubby was a school bus driver for 8 years.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:59 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I THINK YOU HAVE TO GO WITH PRIORITIES HERE, STAYING HOME WITH LESS MONEY AND WATCHING YOUR KIDS GROW UP OR WORRYING ABOUT THEM WHILE WORKING? MONEY ALTHOUGH NECESSARY WILL NOT BRING BACK THE TIME YOU WILL MISS WITH THEM, STAYING HOME WILL PAY OFF IN THE LONG RUN, JUST FOLLOW YOUR HEART ON THIS ONE!

Answer by older at 1:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I work but I also fear the bus since I have heard crazy stories. I plan on dropping off and picking up, even using after school programs to make this happen. BTW FWIW I watch my kid grow up and she is my MAIN priority..............
    PrincessRoo

Answer by PrincessRoo at 3:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2009