SLIGHTLY O-WEIGHT CHILD

1ST OF ALL, WE DON'T BUY ANYTHING FOR THE HOUSE THAT IS CONSIDERED JUNK FOOD-OR SWEETS. OUR BIGGEST SWEET IS UNSALTED-NON-BUTTERED POPCORN AND WE HAVE BOTTLED WATER W/ THAT. SO THOSE WHO I MAY HAVE GIVIN THE IDEA THAT I FEED MY SON GARBAGE-I DON'T BELIEVE IN IT.
2ND-THE DR. SAID HE ONLY NEEDS 2 LOSE 20 POUNDS. HIS B.P-IS GREAT, PULSE IS ALWAYS NORMAL, AND WE USUSLLY GO FOR A SHORT WALK-NOT TO LONG NOW CUZ I JUST HAD A MASTECTOMY AND AM HAVING SERIOUS DIFFICULTIES AT THIS TIME.
HE EATS OATMEAL,SKIM MILK, AND VITAMINS FOR BREAKFAST-EVERY MORNING. LUNCH IS AT SCHOOL
DINNER-ALOT OF CHICKEN AND FISH-WE DON'T EAT RED MEATS IN OUR HOME.
ALSO, WE NEVER FRY ANYTHING-OR USE ANY TYPE OF COOKING OIL. IT ALL GETS BAKED.
WE ALSO HAVE AN ENTIRE WORKOUT GYM IN OUR HOME, WHICH INCLUDES-BOFLEX, TRAMPOLINE, AB-LOUNGE, WEIGHTS, YOGA, PILATES, TAE-BO-WELL WAY TO MANY TO LIST.
FINALLY WE HAVE OUR NUTRITIONIST COMING TO OUR HOME ON MONDAY.
GOD BLESS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• How is this a question?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Hon, I hate to be the one to say this but 'How did he get soooo overwieght if this is how you feed your child??? I think you are in denial or there is something medically wrong with him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• wimsey ---I think this stems from another question that she posted and possibly didn't like the answers she got so she is having to clarify to us why her son shouldn't be fat. IDK
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Wow, back down people. Ok...your son is getting the extra weight somewhere. Here's some good advice from an overweight kid: Don't panic. Don't make drastic changes in his diet that would turn him off of healthy foods. Get online and look up recipe tips that will trim fat that you may not realize is in your food.

Get him to some kind of organized sport that he would enjoy, even if it's skateboarding.

Don't make this a major issue or criticize him. Boys do care about their appearance as much as girls do these days and they get made fun of just like girls do for being overweight. Be a source of tasty nutrition and fun activities. Remember, he is growing and will eat a lot, so let him eat a lot. Put a fruit bowl on the table and in the kitchen. Any "junk" food should be at the back of the fridge to keep his mind off it and in front, place healthy and quick snack alternatives.

My kids enjoy home made smoothies.
    super_mommy4

Answer by super_mommy4 at 10:10 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Is he sneaking foods at school? Alot of schools have vending machines full of the unhealthy foods. Look at his build.Not all of us are blessed with small bone structure and look heavier than we actually are. Maybe he just needs to be more active. I'm sorry I know not much help.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i went through the same thing with my daughter...its the school lunches that is doing it.we went to a notritionist and she said get her off the school lunches...so i did and it worked.i am not saying she is losing hand over fist but she is losing...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• seriously school lunches are just as bad as serving your kid fast food every single day and by the way red meat is good for you.
    Anonymous

• Some young men have a sturdy frame as an adolescent and young teen to be able to handle a larger body (not fat) when he gets his growth spurt. Every boy in our family did that. They thought they were fat (I say stocky) then about 14 - 15 they grew to over 6 ft tall and skinny! Tell him to continue to eat right and exercise and drink fluridated (sp?)  water NOT bottled water for his teeth! Give him juice and even reduced fat milk for the calcium. He's a growing boy. Let him eat a lot of protein. He'll be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• How about this. Maybe at this age he is starting to change a little. I don't mean the change. I mean that maybe he is going to go through a huge growth spurt. It is not uncommon for boys to pack a few extra pounds during this time.
    connietrrll

Answer by connietrrll at 4:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• How old is he? Have you ever thought it might just be adolescent fat my oldest son got pudgy not fat mind you and it wasn't by 20lbs. But my hubby's son was same thing about 20lbs adolescent extra weight but he did over eat so I don't know if you are feeding him right then it is probably something he'll grow into. Get him into basketball, hockey, track. Walking isn't much exercise for a kid just my opinion.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2009