Is 23 pounds at 6 months overweight?

Since my friend's baby was just three weeks old, she has been giving it rice cereal at every feeding. At less than two months old, she started trying to give her table food. The baby has rolls upon rolls of fat all over her body and at 6 and a half months, she weighs 23 pounds. I think she is setting the baby up for a lifelong battle with obesity, but she won't listen to anyone when they tell her her baby is unhealthy. Are we overreacting, or is 23 pounds for a 6 month old excessive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter is fifteen months and doesnt weigh that much what has the doc said?that is just way to big.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I'm not sure. I know that I do not agree with your friends feeding techniques. I know that neither of my kids weighed that much at that age. But, my kids are small. My 17 mo old is only 19 lbs, and my 3 year old is 32-33. I'd say maybe borderline overweight.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son is just about 6 months and barely weighs 16lbs. I know all babies are different, but that does seem pretty heavy. I guess it depends on whether she's always been a big baby or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I have gave my daughter rice cereal since she was 2 weeks old.. Thats what my mom, my grandma and my husbands did the same. But I didnt give her but 1 cereal bottle at thats at night to help her sleep good. And she has slept through the night since she was a month and half.
    but i started her cereal slow of course since she was only 2 weeks i just sprinkled a little bit like a pinch in her bottle and as she got bigger she ate more.
    and she weighs 17.5 at 6 months and 26 inches... im sure she would be fat if she wasnt long.
    but you have to be careful how you feed them cereal or else they will be over weight
    Anonymous

• HOLY COW, my 13 month old weighs 18 pounds. Babies should have nothing but breastmilk (formula) for AT LEAST 6 months and still, the majority of their nutrition should come from milk. Babies don't even need solids until one year or after, they are just for practice. I think maybe social services or somehting should be called on her. That amount of weight seems like it n endangering his health!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:08 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• OP here: Who really knows what the doc says...I am not there when she goes. She says the doc doesn't have a problem with it, but we use the same pediatrician, and if he really is that hands off I am concerned. I don't think she is telling the whole truth because she doesn't want people to know that her doc agrees with them that she needs to reevaluate how she feeds her dd. The crazy part to me is that our dd's were born two days apart and were only one ounce different at birth. By dd weighed 15 pounds at her 6 month check-up and hers 23! They went from one ounce to eight pounds different. I know everybaby grows and develops at their own pace, but jeez!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• If her doc isn't concerned, then you shouldn't be either. I have known exclusively breastfed babies to be that big.. but there weren't solids involved. Cereal is fattening and not needed and she probably has doomed her child to digestive issues by starting cereal that early. But she is mom.. so of course she wont listen to anyone's advice.

Generally the babies size as an infant doesn't mean they will be obese because some babies are just bigger... but if she over feeds the baby with solids then it sets up bad eating habits which will effect a child later in life. :( It's sad how some parents just don't care.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:12 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yes, if there are rolls and rolls of fat, that is excessive. My 22 month old son only weighs 27 lbs.
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• At 6 months my kids weighed 20, 22 and 22 1/2 lbs.

I don't agree with how she's feeding the baby, starting table foods at 2 months! But..not my kid. If the doctor isn't concerned, then...what is there to do?

My 4 year old now weighs 45lbs, my 3 year old is 34lbs and my 2 year old is 30lbs....they're not overweight or obese.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• it all depends on the baby's height. my son is 9 months and is 30 inch's and 23 pounds (he's the average size of a one year old child) the doctor told me that its ok as long as his weight is less then his height
    gsoto1031

Answer by gsoto1031 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 30, 2009