Do You Think That Romance Movies And Books Affect Marriage?

This is just for fun, but do you think that romance novels and movies affect your expectations of what your partner is supposed to be, or how he is supposed to behave?

Jynx1978

Asked by Jynx1978 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• I believe that soap operas can do that as well.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• definately!! everyone wants to have that romantic movie like proposal and the understanding hubby that talks to you whenever somethings bothering you or him... lol, but its just not reality... lol.. but i totally think it does, i remember reading a romance novel at one point and just wishing i could marry the main character... i have to admit, might sound dumb but i almost started comparing my hubby to the book.... but you know, us girls like living in fantasy worlds.... :)
    sweetmama8

Answer by sweetmama8 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• it can if a women can't accept reality and that romance novels aren't real.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:16 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I think it did when I was younger. I read a lot and I had this romanticized idea of "the prince on the white horse" and all that. But as you mature you realize the difference between fantasy and reality.
    Disappointing as it can sometimes be LOL.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Heck I read romance novels all the time but I don't want my hubby to be like the men in those books. I just enjoy the ecape into another world for a bit and hey the heated parts in the book are always fun!!! For us women to expect our men to be like those guys in the books or shows is silly. It is fantasy not reality.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:54 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• They can't all be George Clooney! I'm sure they all fart in bed.
    Anonymous

• I think it defintely can if you have trouble separating fantasy from reality. And then I think movies and books in general are just a bad idea for you altogether =)
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I'm sure they could, but some actually give some pretty cool positions to try in the bedroom, or exciting places.. so i look at it as a positive. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• lol anon.. but only if they could be George Clooney :D
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my friend read Twilight, and realized that she didn't have that kind of love, so it did ruin her marriage.
    Anonymous