breastfeeding and the pill...?

i'm still breastfeeding my 6month old and just had my first period... i think i need to start birth control just to be careful but i'm nervous about the hormones affecting my breast milk.. has anyone been on the pill while nursing.. if so, did it affect you, how long did you wait til you got on it.. etc?

sweetmama8

Asked by sweetmama8 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used the MiniPill while nursing my first. It had no effect on my child or my milk, but I also DID get pregnant while taking it. This time, I have the Paragard IUD.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I used to work at a state funded birth control clinic. You can only safely use three types of BC. 1) The "minipill" which is very low hormone and made especially for breastfeeding mothers. If you choose that method you have to make sure to take it at the EXACT same time EVERYDAY or it is very easy to get pregnant. 2) The depo shot is also okay for BF-ing mothers. It is progesterone only hormones and will not effect your child. You get this shot once every three months and it is VERY effective at stopping pregnancy. Some women complain about moodiness and weight gain on depo, others say its the best thing thats ever happened to them. 3) the paragard IUD is also safe. Its a copper T shaped things about an 1 1/2 inches tall and an inch wide at the T part. It stops pregnancy by making the uterus a hostile environment. Often, egss and sperm will meet but they will not be able to implant, so they will be expelled.
    nicholeluvslucy

Answer by nicholeluvslucy at 10:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I don't recommend any hormonal birth control. While there are "safer" forms of hormonal birth control... I don't like the idea of any hormones possibly passing into my baby. After this baby comes out I am getting the paragard IUD. MIrena is also safe, it has the same hormones as the depot but less concentrated.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i took the minipill after i had my daugther but i stopped taking it because i noticed a drop in my supply.
    but, every woman is different. it is safe to take while breastfeeding and many women find that it has no effect on their milk supply whatsoever.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:16 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• The shot is NOT ok with BF-ing. I had it with my DD and that is WHY I dried up at 4 months. Everyone is different so maybe I'm weird but I would use condoms until you are done BF-ing.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 11:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I take the mini pill and have never had a problem with my milk for the past 9 months. I also have not started my period yet. There is a generic version of the mini pill as well which is what I take. Talk to your doctor and ask the pharmacist for the generic... I do that with all meds.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I agree with celticreverie. I don't like the idea of hormones being passed to my child while nursing. I personally will stay away from the IUD's because my best friend had to have surgery to get hers removed after having it in for 24 hours because it traveled into her stomach (in less that 24 hours!) but that's just me.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2009