breastfeeding and the pill...?

i'm still breastfeeding my 6month old and just had my first period... i think i need to start birth control just to be careful but i'm nervous about the hormones affecting my breast milk.. has anyone been on the pill while nursing.. if so, did it affect you, how long did you wait til you got on it.. etc?

sweetmama8

Asked by sweetmama8 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Health

• The merana (sp?) was what I had and it didn't effect me. However, getting pregnant didn't effect my supply. WE took my merana out at 6 month post partum and I got pregnant right away. My DD still nurses for comfort, but nothing comes out. I'm 23 weeks. You don't HAVE to have it for 5 years, and you don't have to worry about it like taking the pill every day.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• If you want to use the pill you need to go on a progesterone pill. Ones with estrogen will affect your milk supply. Make sure you tell your doctor you are breastfeeding and want to continue.  Then before you start taking the pill double check with a lactation consultant that it won't affect your milk.  I decided to forgo the pill completely and use natural family planning instead.  With that you track your cycle and know when you are able to get pregnant.  Then you abstain or use condoms for those days.  If you want to do that though, you need to wait for your cycle to become regular.  It can be a little funky after you have a baby.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:34 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html

Check out that link for info on birth control while breastfeeding.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:35 AM on Jan. 30, 2009