Would you let your 12 year old girl go to a dance birthday party?

My daughter has been invited to a dance birthday party with 7th and 8th grade BOYS and GIRLS. The girl that invited her is on her Cheer leading Squad at school and she is in the 8th grade. I don't know much about her parents. The only thing that I do know is that she is allowed to do a lot of things that I wouldn't let my daughter do. Things that I think she is still too young for. The party is supposed to be supervised. The time is from 6pm to 10pm. Do you think that I should let her go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would talk to her parents. But yes, I would want my daughter to go & have a good time w/ friends. It's important for her social skills. If you raised her well, then you should trust her enough to not do anything stupid. Also, if it is supervised, i would not worry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I think maybe you should talk to the parents that are going to be supervising this party. Don't make a big deal about it but just ask them about it. It really depends on your daughter and how responsible she is and how much you trust her. If she has always made good choices, sure, let her go as long as the parents really will be there.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i think you should. what ive noticed...being only 16...is that when you dont let them experience things and make their own mistakes, they kinda rebel and grow up not liking you even though they love you and they know you tried to do what was bets for them. let her go, that will show her you trust her enough to be responsible. but lay down the ground rules. tell her be on time no later that 1010 or something. its just the beginning. over time i think you will learn to trust her more. and if there will be parents there go talk to them. it will mae you feel a whole lot better about letting her go
    i wish you all the best
    good luck!
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I dont see a problem with it. My dd went to dances at 12. If you have taught your dd right and what not then there comes a time we have to trust them out in the world and if they party is supervised its a good time to give her a bit of freedom to show she learned the things you have worked hard to teach her.

Answer by gemgem at 10:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yes, but go with her.

Answer by louise2 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I would let her go. I dont think there is anything wrong with speaking to the parents. Making sure that there will be constant adult supervision. This is a chance to let you both "test the waters". We have no choice but to trust our kids till they give us reason not to. Ugh its so hard to let them grow up I know :).
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yes... let her go.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• OMG do not go with her LOL ud mortify her!! Id definatly let her go sounds way fun id let my DD's go if it was a supervised party we had dances in Jr high its really no different than that exept its at someone house!! if your DD is well behaved and you have no reason to not trust her let her go and have fun!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Please do not go with her! I think as long as you talk to the parents and make sure the party is supervised it should be ok. Also talk to your daughter about being responsible and not abusing your trust.
    Anonymous

• First of all, DON'T go with her. That's the wrong thing to do. Let her go but like everyone else said talk about being responsible.
    Anonymous