19 Month Old wakes up screaming...

My freind has a 19 month old boy. He doesn't really sleep well. She has tried co-sleeping and putting him in his own bed to no avail. 5 out of 7 night he wakes up at various hours screaming. Lately she has started feeding him animal crackers to get him back to sleep. When he wakes, he won't go to her bed or his bed, so the crackers is the only thing that has worked. He was formula fed and on target for his developmental milestones. At one time he was diagnosed with reflux and rx medicine. Any thoughts?

marylandjoanne

Asked by marylandjoanne at 10:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he teething? My son woke up alot at that age due to his teeth!! If so I would give him some motrin to ease the pain!
    dez32

Answer by dez32 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my son use to wake up screaming like night terrors. i had to become very schedule with his night time routine. the only thing i contribute my sons to was i use to hold him until he fell asleep. well he got bigger and i would put him in his crib. apparently he didn't like that. so now. he is 15 months and we get ready for bed at 830-9 pm and he climbs the steps and go in the bathroom brushes his teeth and i put him in his crib. he need mom-time. once i focused on him and gave him my full attention he now goes with no problem. its hard to do since i also have a daughter, husband, dog and other things but this works for me. less the a half an hour.....just some mommy time! hope this helps
    2babies4now

Answer by 2babies4now at 11:05 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my dd is 17 months. they can get these things called night terrors. they wake up screaming like crazy and dont want to do anything. either that or hes having a bad dream. tell the dr what hes doing, he will probly tell you its night terrors. they can be nasty.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son does that too. I'm not sure why he does. But I just rock him until he goes back to sleep. Maybe hes having night terrors? Thats the only thing I could think was going on with my son. Just rock the child until they go back to sleep.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 10:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2009