10 month old eating yogurt?

I was wondering if any of you gave your kids yogurt when they were about 10 months. I know they say to wait till 1 year, but my son doing the same things as my neighbor's son who is that age. I give my son a little bit of yoplait's light original yogurt and it doesn't seem to bother him. My FIL (who is forever butting in) says this isn't good and he's going to have stomach problems. The pediatrician said to eat till 11 months, but she doesn't really...listen. I have a hard time explaining to her things that are going because she's so caught up in my husband and I being young parents. Thoughts on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Choose whole-milk products (not reduced-fat or fat-free) that are either plain or naturally sweetened so your baby gets enough calories. "Avoid low-fat products and ones that are artificially sweetened," says Marilyn Tanner, a registered dietitian at St. Louis Children's Hospital in Missouri and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. (Artificially sweetened foods are fine for children with type 1 diabetes.) For proper development, your baby needs the fat calories provided by full-fat dairy products until age 2.
    If you're wondering why yogurt gets the okay ahead of milk — which you should hold off on introducing until your child's 1 year old — it's because the active bacterial cultures found in yogurt (such as thermophilus and bulgaricus) make yogurt easier to digest than cow's milk.

http://www.babycenter.com/408_when-can-my-baby-eat-yogurt_1368506.bc
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Mine were about 8 months when I gave it. I've never heard to wait until a year for other dairy products. My kids had eaten several way before then....you're supposed to wait for milk. But then, my kids were on all table foods at 9 months...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• actually it's okay to start yogurt before the 1 year mark.
    the active cultures in the yogurt help to break down the milk solids and make it easier for baby to digest than regular cow milk.

i offered it to my daughter at around 8 months but she didn't tolerate it well--she would actually spit it up shortly after ingesting it. we held off another month and re-introduced it and she did just fine with it. now, at the age of 3, it's one of her favorite foods!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:19 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I also have never heard that you're supposed to wait till they're a year old. Yogurt was my daughter's first food besides rice cereal. To this day, she still loves it and eats it almost every day. She started it at 8 months, I think.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 11:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yogurt is fine after like 8 months. Yoplait even makes a yogurt especially for babies it's called "Yo Baby" lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I gave my little boy yogurt at that age. He was fine with it, and he still loves Yogurt now that he's 5.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i would encourage you to offer your baby whole milk yogurt, though, it's far better for them than lower calorie yogurts.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:31 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Just to add to heatherama's point... low calorie/fat foods usually contain aspartame to help it taste better and that isn't something you'd want to give your baby. You always want to give your baby the most natural version of a food, even if that means it's a little higher in fat or calories. Also, just an idea, have you tried yogurts made of soy? That may be easier on your baby's tummy. I have read that yogurt and cheeses (cottage cheese) are ok to give your baby though. I don't know first hand however b/c I'm hesitant since my dd had a reaction from my breast milk whenever I would drink cow's milk. I do think I'll try the soy yogurt though.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son has been eating Stonybrook's YoBaby (organic and really yummy) yogurt for a while. You don't have to wait a year for babies to eat yogurt or cheese, like you do for milk. When making yogurt and cheese they introduce live enzymes that actually digest the milk proteins and break them down. It's not as hard on baby's tummy as milk would be.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:42 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• The BabyCenter Editorial Team
    As long as your baby hasn't been diagnosed with a milk allergy or milk intolerance, you can offer him yogurt as young as 8 months. If your family has a history of allergies — hay fever, asthma, or food allergies, for example — the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology recommends holding off on introducing dairy products until 12 months. Signs of a food allergy include swelling of the tongue, lips, and face; a skin rash; wheezing; abdominal cramping; vomiting; or diarrhea. If your baby develops any of these symptoms after eating cheese or any other food, call his doctor as soon as possible.

PhilsBabyMama