Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does the wedding in Vegas works?

do you need to get a marriage licence in advance or you get it on the spot?
and also do you need to get a marriage licence from the state you getting married, or any state?

Answer Question

Asked by Albi1623 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • you can get one on the spot in vegas, you don't need to get one ahead of time. I had a friend who decided to get married and 3 hours later they were. Her and her fiance split up to find attire and then BAM! married.

    Answer by julipickle at 11:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • i was married at Mandalay bay chapel, we were given a limo ride to get the licence (yes you do need one b4 the ceremony or it is just a ceremony and doesn't officially count) from the court house... then you get married, all states are diff, i am from Ohio and we had one month to file some paperwork to make it legal in our state, in all states, then you have to go to the social security office if you want to change your last name... i loved having a fully catered wedding in Vegas, we used our cash to fly important family out for a short vaca and it was so simple, just wanted to marry him, we have been together almost 10 year, married almost 6.... if you have any other ?? pm me..


    Answer by AmaliaD at 11:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • When I called they said you had to go to the courthouse and get a license but it's open 24 hours. A marriage in one state is honored in all states. It's possible the above poster had to file something in her state of residence bc she wasn't a resident of Nevada. Most states have a residency requirement.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • I married my first husband in Vegas and we just went to te court house and got a marriage license, it doesn't take very long an then that night we went to one of the many chapels around and got married. It was really easy to do and it is honored in all states, you have to get the license in the sate of Nevada though becaue that's where the marriage is taking place. It doesn't matter if you are a resident or not of the state of Nevada. We lived in Texas.Our divorce was in Texas though..LOL.

    Answer by Mom2Dano at 2:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • You Can Get Married On The Spot At Almost Any Chapel In Vegas Because They Have The Resources To File All Your Paper Work, If Not They Drive You In A Limo To The Courthouse To Get Married.The Courthouse Is Open 24 Hours Friday And Saturday And Holidays. The License Is $55 Cash AT The Courthouse, And More At The Chapels Because Of The Convenience Fees.

    Here Is The Clark County (Las Vegas) Website With More Info:

    Answer by Kari_Noelle at 5:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.