two questions about breastfeeding

my first question is what are some ways that you ladies keep your newborns awake during feedings. and my second question my son has a slight rash around his mouth i didnt know if it was from his feeding or what it could be from.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i used to tickle the bottom of my sons feet or rub is little cheeks till he woke up and started sucking again. as for the rash it may just be from being pressed against your boob or something else just ask your dr next time you see him unless it seems to get worse or is bothering him.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Maybe your baby's mouth is a little chapped. Make sure you blot his mouth with a cloth so that it's dry after nursing. I would stroke my babies cheek and feet to keep him awake while nursing. Pretty soon your baby will figure out nursing while sleeping! :)
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:40 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I would tickle my little one's cheek and rib her feet. Sometimes I would have to change her diaper to wake her up and then start feeding her again. I forgot all about that until you posted this question, now I have a wiggly little 4 m/o who I wish would lay still enough to be asleep while I nurse.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:40 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i tickle her cheek and if that doesnt work i undress her and that seems to work and then i bundle her back up when she is done but she is 11 days old and honastly has NO problem eating!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Babies can still "eat" while they are "sleeping." I always thougth my DD was sleeping during her feeding but then I spoke with her pedi about it, and she said that more than likely she is just resting her eyes, and because babies have a natural sucking reflex when something is placed in or near their mouth she is still getting milk. And I did begin to notice that she was still sucking even when her eyes were closed...so unless the sucking completely stops then I wouldn't worry about it, and just feed on demand. For a while I was feeding about every hour for only 15 minutes at a time because my LO would fall asleep and quit sucking! And the rash, it may not be a rash at all. Its probably just milk bumps, or newborn acne. Lots of babies get it, especially BFd babies. It should clear up on its own in a few days, but don't be concerned if it comes back...its natural.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 11:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I would rub my babies cheek, and press lightly on the chin while nursing. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2009