does any one think that it is weird?

last night they were talking about taxes cigarettes more, well doesn't obama smoke? so why would he tax them more? and then in the stimulus package it also talks about funding for helping people to quit smoking, should he not lead by example and quit himself??

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 11:43 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As we have all learned by now Obama does not lead by example. He tells the country what to do and how to do it but he himself does not follow that path. Taxing tobacco products will one day lead to the fall of the industry and then there will be millions of jobs lost. From the farmer to the head CEO. And, I do not agree with the stop smoking thing being in the stimulus package. How will it create jobs?????
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Stupid question. He wants to tax ciggarettes more because its a GREAT idea. Why not throw the extra taxes on something that people are dying from every year? I smoke too, but i am in favor of taxing ciggarettes. Just because he smokes, (which i have never heard of) does not mean that he wants people to smoke, or that he thinks it's a good idea. Anyone who smokes will tell you first that it's a horrible addiction, and say there should be something done about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yes he should, but just because he smokes doesnt necesarily mean he is against raising the taxes. I, myself, smoke, but Im all for raising the taxes, because maybe then that will be the push that makes me quit, and two, I'd rather the taxes for cigarettes go up, and maybe the grocery taxes go down, or maybe the increase in taxes could go towards something with a good purpose. Alcohol taxes should go up as well.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Obama's a rich man, an extra dollar on the occasional pack of cigarettes is not going to bother him. Besides he doesn't smoke all that much. As for stop smoking programs and such, I think he's got better things to spend his time and energy on. He says he's gradually cutting them out and will eventually stop. NOT the biggest thing to worry about right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• hm, another poster made a good point, i think the only thing that is actually made here in america is cigarettes. lol. so if the cigarette companies go under, then it would create serious job loss. maybe the taxes should go up on them, but not like a whole lot... I dont know.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Oh. My.

Really?

This is it?

He smokes, it's disgusting. Fine. He's chewing Nicorette - is that enough?

Hardly a line I would draw in the sand, but that's just me.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• do you think that it will actually get people to quit??
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• no i don't agree, tax the cigs, Obama can do what he wants, and still tax the cigs... no connection unless you are a conservative still sore about the election.... and you want to draw connections then you can make up whatever ridiculousness you want.

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Nope.They raise taxes on cigs alot and I dont see that many quitting.Especially the ones that use it to calm their nerves and stress.Raise them I say but it isnt really going to change much...just like if they raised taxes on alcohol.
    Anonymous

• I think it's a fantastic idea to tax cigarettes more in fact make the nasty smokers pay for it so when they get cancer all the extra medical benefits they will get will have actually been paid for by them. I think they should be about $15 a pack then maybe the last smokers in the world can finally quit and we can put the tobacco companies out of business.
    Anonymous