Have You Ever Had A Doctor Say This To You?

I was incredulous the other day when an ER doctor made a comment to me about my breastfeeding. It is kind of a long story, but the short version is that he told me it was time to stop breastfeeding my baby who just turned a year old. And he was a jerk about it. He didn't even know me, he had only seen me for 30 seconds in an ER room due to my ear drum bursting. The whole story story is at my blog at http://www.momology301.wordpress.com

momology301

Asked by momology301 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol I would have told him to shove it.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:52 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I had a ped. go into this long drawn out lecture on all sorts of things once --- feeding, diapering, sleeping --- you name it. And it was in that "I went to medical school --- I know these things" tone.

This was with my FOURTH baby. I kinda knew what the hell I was doing already.

We didn't go back to him.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Except for him only knowing you for 30 seconds. Isn't that the average are(1 year) to stop breastfeeding. Not all doctors have good bed side manners.

Answer by louise2 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Meant  (age) not (are).

Answer by louise2 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I had a Er doctor wanted to know why I didn't take my DD to the Pediatrician to good looked at. Its was 4am when we in the Er she had a fever that refused to go down and was throwing up. I said listen up Jackass its 4am and no doctor office opened up that early in morning. I also said if I would thought she would she would of be alright then I would of waited it out and saved my 150.00 for my Er visit today. He'd didn't say anything to me after that. They gave an IV to hydrate and some IV meds too!

So after that when the Peditrician says if it gets worse take her the Er. I tell hell no I am not going anymore unless plans on showing up at the hospital to meet me there.
    Anonymous

• yeah- stupid doctor- but it sounds like you two are gonna be fine.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 12:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Is it possible that considering you have a toddler (not an infant), he was thinking it would have been easier to treat your ear drum? Not excusing he behavior, but his concern was you as his patient and the majority of mothers do stop breastfeeding at a year.
    Anonymous

• The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least two years.  My doctor (not my child's doctor) fully supported this.  There are antibiotics that are safe for nursing mothers.  That ER doctor was out of line.  He should have been professional and looked for an antibiotic that was safe for a nursing mother.  I live and let live personally.  I don't tell anyone they should breastfeed for two years and I don't like anyone telling me I shouldn't.  It's amazing to me that so many people push their opinions on others with parenting in general. 

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 1:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Should have told him when he carries a child for nine months, gives birth, And raises it then he can tell you when it is or is not a good time to stop feeding YOUR child. Dont listen to him. It's your kid.
    shupey

Answer by shupey at 4:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• one of the docs at the hospital when i had my twins told me that she didn't even know why i was trying to breastfeed, because the bp meds i take wouldn't let me produce enough milk, so i might as well not even try. i thought that was a horrible thing for her to say to a new mother who wanted to at least try to produce some milk for her tiny twin babies, one of whom was in the nicu and could really use some breastmilk.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2009