jealous 2 year old

I don't know what to do anymore my dd will be 2 in march and she is constantly trying to hurt her baby sister. Well today she got so mad at me for telling her no to something that she head butt her before i could stop her. I called the doctor freaking out because she hit her hard and I have never had this happen before. He said she should be ok but i feel like a bad mom for not catching it fast enough. Anyone have a jealous child how did you handle it? Not sure what to do anymore.

steelersmomof4

Asked by steelersmomof4 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dont feel bad....my kids are 13 months apart and my son has done everything imaginable to my DD when she was just a newborn because he didnt understand that there was someone new in the hosue now she is 15 months (almoat 16) and he is almost 2 1/2 and they get along fairly wekk he still is a big bully sometimes but she dishes it right back when he deserves it what goes around comes around my DS STILL gets jealous of my DD from time to time esp when she wants some cuddle time you just have to teach her that its wrong and that can really hurt her younger sibling but she might be jealous because she doesnt undersand is the baby a newborn?
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Jealously over a sibling, especially with toddlers, is very normal. Hurting her sibling is clearly something to deal with - but the trigger for her behavior is normal. I don't know what you're doing but I can tell you what worked well for my family.

First, clearly you need to address the behavior itself. DON'T give her a lot of attention for negative behavior. Address it - yes, but don't dwell. Remember, kids with new siblings just want attention and they'll take it anyway they can get it. . . even if it's negative attention. When she acts out, remove her from immediately and put her in time out - alone. Then fuss over the baby "are you ok?" The message will be clear - bad behavior does not get me attention, it gets baby attention.

More importantly, really make sure she's getting a lot of attention when she IS behaving. make time for just you and her. If the baby is napping, don't clean - play with your 2 yr old. (cont)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• (cont) when you're feeding the baby, play games with your 2 yr old. My son and I would play I Spy or 20 questions. He was 27 months old when my daughter was born. Let her have some role in caring for the baby - this is a group project. she can help burp her sister. She can fetch wipes and diapers. Invovle her.

When DH is home, leave baby with him and go out with your daughter, even for a little while. For nearly 2 years she's been the only kid and therefore the only one getting attention. Now she's got competition and she doesn't know how to cope with it. Help reassure her - she's not replaced, she's still important and she will get her fair share of attention.

My kids are now 6 and 4. We still have to make some "special" dates from time to time to keep them focused on the fact that they are special even if they've got company in the house. :) Also, though, I have to tell you, my kids are the best of friends. Hope!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My eight year old stepson seems jealous sometimes of my three year old. I just make sure that I take some "special time" with him every day...even if its just reading a story or talking to each other.
    kidlovesbatman

Answer by kidlovesbatman at 5:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2009