Do you think 6 month old weighing 15 lbs is underweight?

Our pediatrician only allows us to see nurses for well visits! I went for a sick visit and the nurse still said she was fine. The next week i went for shots and we finally saw a doctor. The doctor said to come back in two weeks b/c he is concerned about her not gaining enought weight! Do you think this is true ?How much did or does your child weigh at this age ! I am very worried !

hollinshead

Asked by hollinshead at 12:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son weighed 17 lbs 10 ozs at his 6 month visit and the doctor said that was normal. He was only 6 lbs 4 ozs at birth so he's gained quite a bit. 15 lbs doesn't seem too much underweight, but she should be gaining about 1 lb a month. If you're starting cereal and baby food now that might help her.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Oh and that's BS about only seeing nurses. I would switch doctors.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son is almost 2 and weighs 19 pnds so i dont think that would be considerd underweight.
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• don't worry about it! my dd is 5 months and 14 lbs. =)
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Wait, are you seeing a tech or a CNP? The reason I ask is because the CNP can do basically everything the doctor has, and they usually have a little more time. At my son's pediatricians the doctor travels around to the different offices but we see our CNP. We love her. But if you're unhappy I would definitely see a doctor. Oh, and my son weighed about 15lbs when he was 6 months. I think he was 15lbs 6oz. I would try giving your baby a little more cereal or baby food in addition to the formula you're giving her.
    mambearwhitt4

Answer by mambearwhitt4 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I KNOW IT IS ! I am looking for another pediatrician right now ! She really is only 5 months and 3weeks ! I notice other babies are way bigger than her also
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 12:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i dont think you have a thing to worry about my daughter is 10 months old and weighs 17 lbs and everytime we have seen the doctor he has said she is perfectly healthy
    IvysMommy331

Answer by IvysMommy331 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My doctor said the birth weight should be doubled by 6 months. My son was 13lb 6 oz at 4 1/2 months. He was 7lb 6 oz at birth so at 6 months 15 lbs would be okay for him.
    Anonymous

• The largest of my 3 children didn't reach 15 pounds until around 9 months, and although all of them were slim, none were actually underweight. It's more important that your baby is growing at a normal rate for her than it is that she weighs the same as other babies her age. If your daughter was previously considered above average weight and is now considered below average, the doctor may be concerned that she is not following her growth curve - she should stay fairly close to the same percentile from one visit to the next, and if she doesn't then it needs to be checked again to make sure she is back on track. Even though it is worrisome to you, you should be glad that your doctor is watching her progress closely enough to notice something like that.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• He doesn't seem to be underweight. My 17 mo old is only 19 lbs. He IS a bit underweight, but he's healthy, so there is no concern.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2009