jealous 2 year old

I don't know what to do anymore my dd will be 2 in march and she is constantly trying to hurt her baby sister. Well today she got so mad at me for telling her no to something that she head butt her before i could stop her. I called the doctor freaking out because she hit her hard and I have never had this happen before. He said she should be ok but i feel like a bad mom for not catching it fast enough. Anyone have a jealous child how did you handle it? Not sure what to do anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• my girls are 2 1/2 years apart. my husband and I would occasionally have a family member baby sit the baby and take our two year old to Mc. Donnals, the park just focus on her. We would tell her what a good sister she is, how much we need her help. I would have my daughter get diapers for me, sing to the baby, I would give my daughter extra attention. It was difficult but we made our daughter feel needed, important and very loved (the baby did not take her place)

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• watch her carefully. I hate to constantly watch mine. She kept wanting to kill the baby. It didn't get any better as they grew up. Now we are dealing with it with a grandson and his little brother. He tried to push him out a second story window. Sibling rivalry can be brutal.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I hate to sound unsympathetic, but do you punish her for doing things to the baby? I will state that i'm a "swatter" and sometimes putting the right motivation in the routine can help. My sons aren't jealous and love each other (they do hit/kick/etc, but not often) so i'm not in your situation. But, at the same time, if you spank your kid for doing things like that, eventually they learn that "if I hit/bite/kick/etc, then I get spanked" they will stop doing it (even if its only for self preservation. lol) And i'm sure you've tried this already...but we always made a big deal with our oldest how this was "his" baby too and big brothers have to watch out for their little brothers, etc. Maybe you can start trying to get her to see the baby as "her" sister and not just as "the baby".
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2009