I wondering.................

I just had my baby girl 11 days ago and starting to feel back to normal... i was wondering if i start working out is the burning of calories gonna hurt my milk supply?? Breastfeeding is going very very well and i dont want to jepordize it but id like to start exercizing. Thanks!!

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wait until your 6 week check up. Even if you're feeling better your body still needs more time to heal itself and you don't want to set yourself back. And I'm not sure but I think it can affect your milk supply. Plus the more you breast feed the more weight you will lose.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• You can do some light walking now, but any harder working out should wait until your physician clears you. It should not effect your milk, as long as you are still eating and drinking.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I think you should definitely wait a few more weeks and give your body time to heal before exercising. I felt fine after the birth of my 2nd daughter (I had a natural, vaginal birth) and I was breastfeeding. I didn't think I needed to take it easy even though they tell you to when you leave the hosp.- avoid going up and down stairs, heavy lifting, even driving, etc. So I started doing everything like normal- going to the store, all the household chores (our laundry is in the basement and we have a 2 story home). Well 9 days after I gave birth I wound up in the ER cuz I was passing blood clots like crazy. I spent 2 days in the hosp. and my dr. had to do a D&C. You don't realize it but your body just underwent a lot of stress and you need to rest and let it heal. That said, you can safely exercise while nursing and it won't affect your milk supply but I'd wait a little longer and then start slowly.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 12:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• wait till you hit the 6 week mark. If you had an episiotomy you dont want to risk hurting it or over doing it any. I know its hard but you should just try to rest right now. Think about the work out your body just got. Try to take it easy right now and hit the gym after you are healed
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2009