Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tax question

tax question.
i owe for my student loans, last year they took my taxes and my stimlus check.
if i let my bf claim me and my child this year, will there be a hold up or any problems that we will encounter?
(i only worked one month last year.)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (3)
  • If you're in default on student loans, they can take ANYTHING. It's not that hard to clear up. Call them and tell them how much you can pay per month. Odds are, no matter how little it is, they'll help you. But if you're severely in fault, I'm sorry but you're screwed. If your boyfriend claims you, which might not even be allowed, they can take his money. Even declaring bankruptcy won't can't get rid of student loan debt until you HAVE to pay it. Call them up and work something out.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • If you made less than $3500 last year, AND you lived with your BF all 12 months, he may can claim your dependency. He can claim the child which would likely let him file as Head of Household, BUT only if he paid over 50% of the rent/mort., food, etc. If he or you are hud assisted, receive food stamps, or welfare, the rules change and will be questioned by the IRS.

    If he is able to claim you as a dependent, then you will still need to file as single, and not claim your dependency. What ever your refund would be will continue to be kept by the irs until it is satisfied.

    Otherwise, you could file single (not head of household b/c of income restrictions), claim the child, and you might receive EIC which would still be held by the IRS, but help you to pay down the student loan. I would do all I could to pay this down by working as much as possible this year, b/c it will follow you each year till it is paid.

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • If you are in default on student loans, you are not eligible for the EIC.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.