Anti-bacterial and anti-viral products?

Anyone else ban the products in their house? I was discussing this with a friend the other day. She uses anti-bacteria wipes and hand sterlizer constantly and she pretty much said that gross for not using those products. The thing is. She and her child are -always- sick, while we rarely get sick.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Health

• Because those products kill the natural protective flora or germs we are suppose to have that helps protect us. Alot of people dont understand that, now in the hosspital hell yeah I use it, but at home or out and about I just wash my hands with regular soap and warm water, and people wonder why we are getting stronger and stronger bugs, its because they adapt to the antibotics and adapt to the strong hand sanitizers, so guess what...they( bad germs) become more powerful and harmful to us.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I know that. The germs evolve, I just seemed to be the only one that doesn't use it. Another thing too, it's the scrubbing of our hands. That foamy soap is another problem, people don't scrub their hands enough.
    Anonymous

• Ive heard that the germs overcome those antibacterials
    Momoftwo278

Answer by Momoftwo278 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• You are correct, you should not use those products. Like someone else said, they kill off the normal flora that is on our skin. Constant exposure to antibacterials causes the bacteria in the environment to become resistant. That means that you've just made that strain of bacteria harder to kill as well as made your antibacterial product 100% useless. To give an example she might understand, the over-use of penicillins to treat staph infections created MRSA (Methicillin Resistant S. aureus) which is a terrible form of staph that is responsible for thousands of hospital deaths each year. VRSA is another such bacteria. We use plain old soap and water in my house and that's all you need.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• You are right honey, using all those products are bad for us. Cleaning your home and toys and things the baby touches often, using normal soap or bleach water mix does the job just fine. Your body needs to develop those immunities....but the thing is, the people who are obsessed with using that kind of stuff will never stop or see your side to it.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2009