Mom's of multiples or kids close together help!

I have sons that are 13 months apart. They are #4 and 5 out of 5 kids. My oldest is 23...so I am not new to this whole parent thing to say the least. However I have never had kids this close in age. It just makes everything such a pain in the ass. I can't go places like I used to because they are crabby or off in different directions. They are 2 and 3 yrs old btw. How do you deal with this...how do you get your life back? Tell me this gets easier! I feel bad because I can't wait until they are school age and more managable! S.O.S!!

salexander

Asked by salexander at 12:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• My middle boys, who are now 5 & 6, are just less than 13 months apart. I also have a 10 yr old & a 2 yr old.

Having them so close was actually really easy for me....with the acception of when the younger one was a NB. Once he got up to about a yr old, they could play together like the same things, shared the same toys, etc. I saved a TON of clothes & got around town with a double stroller... Not that we got out much. It IS a lot of work to go anywhere with little ones that close + an older one. By the time you're in the car, you're ready for a nap! LOL

As for 'getting your life back' -- don't know what to tell ya there, either. I don't remember life before kids (oldest was born when I was 21).. and I homeschool, so no relief there, either. My kids ARE my life right now. "Life w/o kids" for me is once a week when dad keeps them so I can go do something.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I don't have multiple children, just one but it drives me crazy having to take my son everywhere. It's like this. Get him bundled up, buckle him in the carseat with a million other things in my hands, get out of the car at the store, unbuckle him, find a place to put him, and hope he doesn't get impatient at the store and cries! Yeah, its a pain.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I have 3 kids... there is about 19 months between each, so I FULLY understand what you're talking about. I work outside of the home and they go to daycare, so picking them up and dropping them off sometimes feels like herding cats (as a friend of mine once said LOL). My oldest is 4 now and things are calming down a bit as she is much more likely to follow directions the first time I tell her to do something and she's a bit of a mother-hen, so she tries to keep her sisters in line. I know my kids aren't really older than yours by much, but from what I can tell so far... it does start to get better soon =)
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• DS is 4 and DD is 3. They are 16 months apart and it's crazy, they are eachother's allies! I also have a 9 month old girl. Things around here are crazy. I don't know about them being more managable when they go to school. My son used to be way better behaved when he was home with us. Now he's crazy and taking his sister with him.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Mine are older 6 and 4, they are 22 months apart. i spent two different time spans (early three's for both) where I would just not go anywhere unless I absolutely had to. we established at home how they are to act and how they listen to mommy when she tells them something. when they got it down at home I would take them out but on the way where ever i would explain what was going to happen and how they should act- and if they misbehave we won't be able to go to that place again. Mine are really good in general though so I'm probably not much help.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 12:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I have a 12 yr old and a 5 and 6 yr old, they are 13 months apart. At first it was very hard but I have to say I wouldn't want it any other way. They are best buddies, our 6 yr old looks out for our 5 yr old, they do fight at times but overall they get along great... Kids are all different and so are all families so maybe I just got lucky... Now my 12 yr old, thats a whole other story,lol He and our 6 yr old fight constantly... And never fights with the 5 yr old, go figure,lol....
    Goodluck!!
    Anonymous

• IM a mom of four children two teenage daughters 16 & 18 and twin boys who are 4. When my husband and I discovered we were having twins. we were just starting to enjoy our freedom, we could leave our daughters home alone while we went to dinner and a movie. Now I have to worry about sitters, extra clothes, the difficult thing is dealing with temper tantrums at the same time.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:08 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I have a son who's about to turn 5, one who just turned 3 and one who just turned 2. Three in 33 months. There are 22 months between the first two and 11 months between the last two.

They now know to stay with me and how to behave in a store. Before that, it was tougher, but that's why they have shopping carts. And if the store didn't have shopping carts, I had a stroller for at least the youngest (at times a double for the youngest two)

It's easier if my husband goes with us anywhere, obviously, but I take them to the aquarium, to the zoo, to the activities of my oldest and have to spend more time watching the younger two rather than my oldest play soccer.

What's rough..is like right now when they younger two have a stomach bug and both want to puke at the same time, in different parts of the apartment....and neither knows how to go puke in the toilet or in the bucket on their own yet......
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I have a 2 y/o and a 1 y/o. The best inventions ever (tied)....the double stroller (so many options...put them both in, let one walk and the other ride and then switch, let them both walk and use it to carry shopping bags,etc) and baby leashes...(strap 'em both on ya and go! LOL) I've only dealt with mine being this close, so i don't really know the experiance of only having 1 to deal with. I guess its just about "doing" it. It probably just seems harder now because you haven't gone through THIS particular mommy experiance. Just remember that you can get through this (just like you did your others)!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2009