What should I do?

I just received a phone call from one of my son's friend's mother. She told me that she just got her son back for the night(he goes to his dad's every other weekend) and that the notebook the lawyers have them keep now has my name listed in it. Apparently this kid's step mother(technically she has no legal rights to him, but I don't know what else to call her) stated that I was talking about this kid's mother to her and the father, saying things about her behind her back. And they claimed they were taking their son out of his baseball game early to attend my son's birthday party. First off, NO ONE from my son's class showed at his party. Only family came. Secondly, I have NEVER even spoken to this stepmother except for a hello, nice to meet you, at one of the baseball games my son and their son were attending. Now this kid's mother is flipping out on me, wanting to know what's being said and that she won't have her name slandered around town. And that I shouldn't be surprised if I get summoned into court. She claims her son tells her everything and wouldn't lie to her about any of this. But it's clear from his father and stepmother that they're perfectly capable of lying and bringing some random person they met once into this legal battle.

I am seriously so upset right now. I am in tears. I tried to explain to this kid's mother that I had never spoken to her ex-husband and his new lady friend, nor did I ever say anything about her to them. And I told her I had people who could vouch that her son did NOT show at my son's birthday party. I don't even know what to do. I'm so scared; I honestly don't want to be pulled into someone else's legal issues. Is there anything I can do?

EDIT: I know nothing about who her lawyer is or who her ex-husband has as a lawyer. Can I still file for a cease and desist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Call their lawyer and tell them you're getting a cease and desist order against them.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 11:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2012

• I'd tell her that she's nuts if she thinks she's going to drag you into that shit. Her problems with her ex are HER problems, she is not going to make them your problems! She can go pound sand!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2012

• It's hearsay and no proof. Don't even worry about it. It cannot be claimed as evidence unless you write an affidavit stating so and you won't. If you got a call from the lawyer, you explain politely and calmly you know nothing of this and it's a complete lie and you have no desire to be involved in someone's domestic mess. That is IT!

For your own peace of mind, tell the boys they can't be friends. Honestly, that is what I'd do. It's a shame but you don't need this crap. Moreover some one is feeding a line of BS to these people (or they are making it up) but you don't want to take that risk. Tell the kids, no more and you're sorry it came to this but you can't be involved and sadly you're not sure where the information is being passed down from.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2012

• The ex knows the boys are friends and i assume you & his mom are friends - i would just explain to your son that they can no longer play together until this is straitened out. I would not do anything or call anyone - just makes your look guilty. I agree, it's all hersay. But with my ex - he had people willing to lie for him & speak against me. But in my case, I had police records to back up my side of the story, so the judge never even heard his witnesses.
    I would just calmly walk away from the situation.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2012

• How close is your son to this boy? If they are very good friends, I would not force him to end a friendship because of this as long as this is the end of it. If they are casual friends, then I would agree with the other moms that it's not worth the drama.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2012

• I would tell her over the phone next time she calls. That this did not happen and to leave you out of it and please not call again. If she calls again send a letter to her by certified mail telling her the same thing.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2012

• I think it is smoke and mirrors. And even if you are subpoenaed, which you haven't yet been, then you just go in front of the judge and say what you know. Tell the truth and don't be afraid. It sounds like this is one hell of a custody thing going on and they are reaching for anything they can. You can't ask them to cease and desist because they haven't done anything to you except put your name in book. So what? That is nothing. Also, it could be the mother that is lying, not the stepmother or the father. So be very careful not to take sides or to assume anything. Just tell the truth and stay out of the drama as much as you can.

lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 5:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2012

• Her problems with her ex are HER problems,
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 9:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2012