turning car seat around

My daughter is 10 months old and weighs a little over 20lbs and is 29 in tall. She is still rear-facing but very squished with her long legs. She is beginning to hate getting in the car!! I think because she is so comfortable. My sisters have turned their kids around well before they were 12 montys old and less than 22 lbs. Do you think it's safe to turn her around? Her car seat has a harness system, so I think she will be safe, God-forbid we have an accident. What do you think??

ccahoney

Asked by ccahoney at 12:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had my kids turned around before they were one for that same reason. My son was 21 3/5 inches, 10 # 3oz at birth, so you can imagine how uncomfortable he got before he was one.
    There are reasons that they like you to wait, but I turned them around earlier, and they are both fine.
    Best of luck!
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I think you need to follow the law of your state, and in California (and I think most states) it says that they must me 20lbs AND a year old before you switch their seat to front facing.

I face the same problem with my 8 month old, she is 29 1/2 inches, but she is also only 8 months old and her neck is not ready to handle the brunt of the blow if we were to get into an accident.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I got my son another seat its convertible rear facing til 30 or 35 lbs and then front facing til 60 or 65lbs. The one I got is Graco Advance it was about $120 dollars it has excellent ratings and wasn'ta bad price at all considering the use we will get out of it. My son is already a year old and will rear face til he outgrows his seat (he loves his new seat). I watched a video on you tube about extended rear facing and it scared me My son will be rear facing until he can no longer in his seat. I recommend you watch that video, but inevetibly its up to you and the laws in your state.

marie85

Answer by marie85 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• This one, while in a foreign language, shows you the impact that a child gets in both a front facing and rear facing seat at the same speed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeExpDLDA&feature=related

This one...well, if this one doesn't change your mind about wanting to switch early, nothing will.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• By what I know NJ has no infant carseat law so you may if you so desire.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Honestly, rear facing is much safer. Rear-facing car seats spread frontal crash forces over the whole area of a baby's back, head and neck; they also prevent the head from snapping relative to the body in a frontal crash.

There are convertible car seats designed for rear facing up to 35 lbs. This is the safest option.

I would recommend keeping your child rear facing for as long as possible.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2009