any one had membrane striped? and if so how long till you went into full blown labor?

my midwife did it today, i was 2 cm at check and she said i was soft but not thinned out? i kinda thought they were the same thing?? can anyone help to clarify that one for me please! i am s oready for her to be out. oh and i didnt ask is it still ok for me to take a bath? my water isnt broke so it should be alright, right??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• just because you striped your membranes doesnt really mean you will go into labor sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. I had mine done with my son at 40wks and i was in labor with in 12 hours of leaving the dr my friend on the other hand had hers done and it was another week.
    Yes you can still take a bath obviously dont take a super hot bath. As far as being soft but not thinned out its not the same. She ment your cervix is soft but it hasnt started to thin out and move out of the way for baby to be born its just soft which is good but you also need to be thinning out (efacement). Good luck i suggest going for a nice walk maybe around the mall or just around your neighborhood.
    Anonymous

• Yes on the bath. I had mine stripped when I was pregnant with my son, and it didn't do anything for me. It just hurt!!! I ended up with a Csection a week later (preeclampsia).
    nichvegas-mommy

Answer by nichvegas-mommy at 1:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I seriously can't believe that you midwife did that. How sad. Did she even ask you? Did she explain the risks and benifits? How many weeks are you?
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It's not a guarantee. You have about a 50/50 chance of it actually working lol. Yes you can bathe people give birth in water lol. Just clean your tub.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• well no she didnt ask but i was telling her when she was checkig heartbeat etc that i was ready for her to come out and i rub my belly and tell her to hurry up, i am 39+ weeks. it did hurt but not more than the last time i was checked to see how far dilated i was.
    Anonymous

• im afraid to have that done..did she do it with her finger or an instrument? my dr wanted to use an instrument.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I had my membranes stripped (hurt like hell!!) and lost my mucas plug that night. I started to go into labor, but then it stopped after a few hours. Then I had nothing happen for a week. When I went back to see my OB, she was stunned I hadn't gone into labor, considering I was 3 cm and 80% effaced. She asked if I wanted it done again, I declined and asked to be induced later in the week.

Turns out, all the times my body was trying to go into labor (3 times) and would stop, that was happening because my son would descend into the birth canal, but was coming down on an angle was getting stuck. So he'd go back up and that's when the labor would stop. It was really annoying :) So I went into labor at 12am on a Thursday, went to the hospital at 7am and was given Pitocin, was going through contractions all day, got the epidural, was FINALLY fully dialated, pushed for 2 hours and then had a csection at 230am on Friday.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• (tnt) oooh! An instrument to scrape membranes? That seems so dangerous. Stripping/scraping membranes is too risky for me to do, that would worry me, yikes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• that's what my dr. said he was gonna do!! everyone else ive heard they just use their fingers...sounds like it all hurts like hell so theres no way im gonna let a dr do that to me..ill just suffer for another week or 2..i was dialated at 3 cm when they offered to do it..i stayed that way for another 3 weeks.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2009