Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Ok so my ex husband is getting laid off..permanately. He is trying to tell me that since he will be on unemployment he doesn't have to pay child support. I don't think its right for him to be able to do that..Does anyone know if thats true? Please help I rely on that money...

Answer Question

Asked by Miranda926 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • NO!! That is not true!! Depends on your state, the child support will be in arrears if he doesnt pay. If he is unemployed he will receive unemployment checks. They will make him get a new job.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • One judge told my ex that he doesn't care if he needs to pick up aluminum cans on the street he must find a way to pay.

    Good luck

    Answer by LuckyClown at 1:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • Nope, not true. In my state they go after his unemployment and take a portion for child support. It might not be the full support amount but they do take some. Oh by the way I live in oregon. You can call your child support case worker and ask if they will garnish his unemployment checks.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • I believe all to be true...the will take some of his unemployment and he will be in the arrears..

    Answer by Dannee at 1:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • He still has to pay the child support..and the same amount he was paying unless he goes back to court to try to get it changed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • He already owes me 3,000 in back child support, it is being paid back by adding 50 bucks to his child support checks...He just drives me crazy, I asked him if he was going to look for another job and he told me he was just going to enjoy life living off of the state what a jerk!!

    Answer by Miranda926 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • It won't be too grand for him living off the state because he will be in arrears if he doesn't pay and if he gets any kind of money you can garnish his checks. In some states you can't get your license renewed if you owe back child support. Don't know if that applies here but just a little trivia. Good luck to you and your family!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • Thanks Ladies

    Answer by Miranda926 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • FYI - the states will generally do whatever they need to in order to make sure the CS is not forgotten or ignored. My son's BD has a $16,000 lien on him (he can never sell/buy without paying that first) for CS he owes on his first 4 kids (mine was the 4th). He owe's me over $8,000 currently in arrears, is mostly unemployed, but DCS is pretty powerful and won't let him get away easily without owing up to his debt.

    Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN