ARRGGG!!!

Ok so my ex husband is getting laid off..permanately. He is trying to tell me that since he will be on unemployment he doesn't have to pay child support. I don't think its right for him to be able to do that..Does anyone know if thats true? Please help I rely on that money...

Miranda926

Asked by Miranda926 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• NO!! That is not true!! Depends on your state, the child support will be in arrears if he doesnt pay. If he is unemployed he will receive unemployment checks. They will make him get a new job.
    Anonymous

• One judge told my ex that he doesn't care if he needs to pick up aluminum cans on the street he must find a way to pay.

Good luck
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 1:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Nope, not true. In my state they go after his unemployment and take a portion for child support. It might not be the full support amount but they do take some. Oh by the way I live in oregon. You can call your child support case worker and ask if they will garnish his unemployment checks.
    Anonymous

• I believe all to be true...the will take some of his unemployment and he will be in the arrears..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• He still has to pay the child support..and the same amount he was paying unless he goes back to court to try to get it changed.
    Anonymous

• He already owes me 3,000 in back child support, it is being paid back by adding 50 bucks to his child support checks...He just drives me crazy, I asked him if he was going to look for another job and he told me he was just going to enjoy life living off of the state what a jerk!!
    Miranda926

Answer by Miranda926 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It won't be too grand for him living off the state because he will be in arrears if he doesn't pay and if he gets any kind of money you can garnish his checks. In some states you can't get your license renewed if you owe back child support. Don't know if that applies here but just a little trivia. Good luck to you and your family!
    Anonymous

• Thanks Ladies
    Miranda926

Answer by Miranda926 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• FYI - the states will generally do whatever they need to in order to make sure the CS is not forgotten or ignored. My son's BD has a $16,000 lien on him (he can never sell/buy without paying that first) for CS he owes on his first 4 kids (mine was the 4th). He owe's me over $8,000 currently in arrears, is mostly unemployed, but DCS is pretty powerful and won't let him get away easily without owing up to his debt.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2009