What does neon green snot mean?

My child has had a stuffy nose for 4 days now, (today being the fourth). She doesn't have a fever and until today has a slight cough. I called the Dr. yesterday and they told me to do benadryl every 6 hours and run a humidifier and if not better in 10 days call back. She said that green doesn't always mean anything. Ok, so knowing that does Neon green mean anything?? It has been green/opaque everyday until today. I have never seen snot this color before soooo....just wondering ....does this mean anything?? Have you ever encountered this before and if so what did the dr. say? TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It doesn't mean infection, if that's what you're asking. Color has nothing to do with it. It's probably something with that particular virus and their body chemistry.

I'm actually kind of shocked they told you to give Benedryl every 6 hours for a stuffy nose.

Run the humidifier.
    Elevate her head.
    Steam her in the bathroom at least once a day and suction as you can.
    Saline nasal drops at each diaper change. If you can see a bunch of stuff, suction it out.
    Tylenol for her discomfort.

It's better not to give meds unless necessary. The runny nose, sneezing and coughing is how they get the virus out of their system. Benedryl is going to have her doped up dozing all day, drying up her nasal passages so she won't get rid of the virus at all. Not to mention...if it turns out to be croup, it's going to be much worse attacks if she's dry.

(just speaking from experience on that one...learned that lesson the HARD
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I agree with the answer above a little aspirin and humidifer going sounds sensible!
    kathie167

Answer by kathie167 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my son has a cold too- until he gets a fever over 103 I won't be worried about :) after all I get colds all the time :)

Do as stated above :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2009