What does neon green snot mean?

My child has had a stuffy nose for 4 days now, (today being the fourth). She doesn't have a fever and until today has a slight cough. I called the Dr. yesterday and they told me to do benadryl every 6 hours and run a humidifier and if not better in 10 days call back. She said that green doesn't always mean anything. Ok, so knowing that does Neon green mean anything?? It has been green/opaque everyday until today. I have never seen snot this color before soooo....just wondering ....does this mean anything?? Have you ever encountered this before and if so what did the dr. say? TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• if she has a slight fever with her snot it could signal a infection. I always thought if it was green snot it ment they had a sinus infection but i guess not things have changed i guess over the last few years. If there is no fever i wouldnt worry to much just keep a close eye on her with the cough she suddenly has she may just be getting a cold and in that case not much you can do but wait it out.
    Anonymous

• Green does mean you have a sinus infection but as an adult with chronic sinus and with kids who have it also; medication does not quicken the time to get better.
    Fluids, vitamin C and lots of sleep are the best remedy. As is saline to help lubricate the nasal passages.
    If there is a high fever or does not resolve after about 2 weeks then you want antibiotics.
    I am not sure about the neon green.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• It doesn't always mean an infection.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Whatever happened with your child and the neon green snot? I have been suctioning neon green snot out of my 11 month old son's nose today. It's also day 4 of his cold. This is my 2nd child and I have never seen anything like it. Just wondeirng if you figured out what the deal was. Thanks.
    melodie326

Answer by melodie326 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2010