help for my baby fine hair

My hair is so fine that I sometimes buy barrettes in the baby section just so they stay in better. It's shoulder length and I'm growing my bangs out (again...after more than 10 years without them I had them cut on a whim and I regret it).

It doesn't hold a curl at all. I've had perms before and they look great for about 2 weeks then they just get flatter and flatter. I've tried layers, volumizing shampoo, using gel and what not while blow drying my hair flipped over...nothing!

Any suggestions? I hate the flat look my hair always has.

jms124

Asked by jms124 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I so know how it feels to have baby-fine hair. Mine was that fine and is still considered thin by most standards, but did thicken when I hit my mid 30's...(I am 45 now)
    I found that there isn't much else than what you have already done or tried to do... after trying all of what you said you have done, I just kept my hair long for the longest time and kept it up in a pony tail... when my dd's were teens I decided to go extremely short... being that short I was able to use a styling gel to have it spikey on the top... I lighten the ends and it actually looked pretty good for a while, but the probable with that is that you have to keep it that short all the time for it to work (with baby-fine hair)... so I let it grow out...
     cont...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• continued...
    To this day my hair is below shoulder length and is still thin, will not hold a curl (well not long) and is as straight as straight can get...  perms do more harm than good...
     I use little girls barrets and scrunchies to hold my hair when it's not in a ponytail...
     I wish I could have been more helpful ... sorry...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Keeping it super short is the way to go. Chin length, lots of layers. Blow dry upside down.
    Anonymous

• i know some women who buy a hair clip that ihas fake hair on it and adds volume.
    Skylene

Answer by Skylene at 7:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2009