How should I explain to my 5 year old who God is?

This morning my son and I were talking about how he was made and I told him that Mommy and Daddy had help from God. So he asks me, "Mommy, who's God?". I've always talked about God to him and he has a book called "Dear God, Can you hear me?" but he's never asked who he is. What's a good way to explain to a young child who God is?

My answer to him was to lets talk about it later....

NJMom2Tyler

Asked by NJMom2Tyler at 1:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-15 Credits)
  • My son has never asked me specifically who God is, he's 4. He talks about God and knows He lives in Heaven and that God answers our prayers etc. I try to incorporate God into our daily discussion when we talk about His creations and how he's blessed us and provided for us and the way He wants us to treat others and behave. If he asked me specifically, I'd tell him that God is our Heavenly Father and He lives in heaven way up in the sky. He watches over us and protects us. He hears our prayers and gives us everything we need. He loves you more than you could ever imagine and He will always be there for you when you need Him, just pray to Him.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• get a childrens book about it or do an activity about god! It helped me with my nephew .
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 1:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I've always told my children that he was the the Creator of the universe and everything in it including you and I.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I would tell him God is who made him. God is LOrd of all.. HE has made everything around and when he goes out side and looks up he will see everything that God made.. And tell him to look up in the sky and GOd is up there looking down and watching over him... Hope this helps God bless you...
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I was looking for books that help explain God to children and found this like about a similar question and thought you may like it...
    http://www.askrealjesus.com/K_JESUS_ANSWERS/B_ABOUT_GOD/explainGod.html
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Wow. Good question. My children never asked this. I'd say take a walk on a nice day, especially in the spring and point out that God made all of this beauty. .
    He is our Creator, and he loves us.

Answer by Bmat at 10:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Ahh.. what a sweet age you are entering into.

Sometimes when children ask us questions we feel the need to answer them in adult concepts.

A simple, He is the creator of heaven and earth. Is a great answer for a 5 year old.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 12:13 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• There is a book on Amazon called What is God Like? It relates closely to this question!
    http://www.amazon.com/What-God-Like-Beverly-Lewis/dp/0764204661/ref=sr_1_61?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233381858&sr=1-61

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:06 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• www.unity.org will give you some tips. :) Great spiritual church if you want to check it out.

I tell my kids that God is everything. God is all that we see and everything in between. There is no separation between us and God because WE couldn't exist without God. GOD can be any form He chooses, but HE is mainly energy, All that IS, IS GOD.

jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:16 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• There is a book on Amazon called What is God Like? It relates closely to this question! http://www.amazon.com/What-God-Like-Beverly-Lewis/dp/0764204661/ref=sr_1_61?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233381858&sr=1-61

I like that book.  I think I may have to order that.  And the one, "What is Heaven Like?", too. 

jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2009