What would you think?

I live in an apartment with familys living on each side of me. One side lived there before my family got here the other moved in after. Well both sides have young kids. I am kept up every night listening to a loud video game trough one wall and kids running up and down stairs and screaming that they dont wanna go to bed on the other. I lose sleep and get annoyed, but I don't complain because I understand. This morning I got a visit from our office. They said they are here on a noise complaint and I only get two noise complaints total before we are evicted. The noise was my 5 month old screaching because she just found her voice. To make this worse it is in the middle of the day so its not like I am keeping them up! I am pissed I could have bitched about them months ago but I was considerate. Also when we moved in and they explained that noise complaint and eviction part they specifically said the baby noises are an exception.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• well i would go over to my neighbors and tell them that all day you deal with their kids and their noise and you haven't complained, but if they have a problem and can't come to you directly, then you are going to the land lord with your complaints as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i'd make sure to complain about them each time from now on. and if its written in your contract about the baby noises, then you can take that to the office, and show them. they can't hold the baby against you!!
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 1:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I would complain if I were you. Also explain to the front office what you told us. That it was during the day and it was your baby so that shouldn't count against you. One because it's during the day and second because it clearly states in your contract that baby noise is an exception.
    Anonymous

• I send emails to the condo complex office every time there is a specific rule breaking incident. That way it notes time and date of the incident and I give the condo number. Let the office determine which complaints are enough for an eviction. However, normal noise like babies crying during the day should be acceptable. There is normally a noise ordinance in the community where you can't make disturbing noises before 8 a.m. and after 10 p.m. The other family is obviously breaking that if they are keeping you up at night. I'd remind the office of what they told you when you moved in about the baby noises.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Document everything and be prepared to go to court and fight it if they attempt a 30 day notice or an eviction. Also, you may need to start making your own complaints. You may need to invite the manager in to hear the noise from your perspective. If baby noise as an exception is not in writing, it is not admissible in court. If it is in writing, write a letter in your defense that clearly states that your baby's noise during the day is not a violation according to your contract with them. EVERYTHING needs to be in writing otherwise, when you get to court, it did not happen.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2009