Does anyone beside you and your husband/boyfriend discipline your child(ren)?

if someone tell your child what to do and what not to do, do you get offensive?

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2012 in General Parenting

• His teachers, his grandparents, his day care provider, his boy scout coach,, I assume that when I am not around he isn't perfect all the time, and nope it doesn't offend me.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:01 AM on Jun. 11, 2012

• If he is over at a friend's house I expect the parents to tell him what he can and cannot do. My ex's girlfriend is allowed to discipline him as well. No one can spank him but time outs are allowed. I have no problem with it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:02 AM on Jun. 11, 2012

• My mother and his day care provider discipline when he is in their care. They do not spank though. I don't get offend if they correct him even in my presence because they are an authority figure to my son. I would get offended if someone who does not ever care for him corrected him as I don't feel it's their place or business to do so.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 11, 2012

• daycare and grandparents
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2012

• not on a regular basis. but if they are with grandparents, i expect them to discipline for any necessary reasons. when we are with certain friends, they know they can handle disciplinary issues they see (like this last week we spent with a friend's family, it went both ways, if she saw my kids misbehave she knew i had no problem with her disciplining them, and if i saw hers misbehave she had no problems with me disciplining them). there are people i expect to discipline them if they see reason to, but there are other people (relatives) who i would be pissed if they tried.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Anyone who we leave her with while we are not there. But if we are there, no...no one is to discipline her. You can tell her what is/is not expected of her in a respectful manner, but it is up to me or DH to discipline if she does not follow the rules.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2012

• If I leave her with someone, I fully expect them to discipline her. My mom, dad and MIL have my permission to, since they are the only ones who watch her. I trust them to do so.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:16 AM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Um, grandparents, daycare, school... etc... If my grandchildren do not behave, they know there will be consequences. I discipline my grandchildren all the time. And no I was never offended when someone disciplined my own children. How else are they going to learn that the rules apply everywhere unless someone reprimands them??

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Yup, if I have friends over, and my kids do something behind my back that they aren't suppose to (and friend sees it), I have absolutely no problems with my friend saying something to my child.

Ever hear the old saying, "It takes a village to raise a child."? Yup, I firmly believe that. No matter what Mom and Dad say/think, we DON'T have eyes in the back of our heads!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Any adult that my child is in the presence of has the RIGHT to discipline my children if they need it. By discipline I mean they can correct any bad/dangerous behavior that needs immediate attention if I don't catch it. I know my child isn't perfect and I know that it takes a village to raise a child.

Nope! Not offended at all.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2012