MIL gifts...

My MIL often gets my 2 year old DS werid gifts. LOL. I know it sounds petty but it gets annoying because she often gets him things that he can't use, won't care for, and then gets hurt when he isn't playing with them. We've given her a list before for birthdays/Christmas etc. but she NEVER sticks to them. For example she got him a remote control car from radio shack that says ages 10 and up and it's HUGE and scares my DS! She's also gotten him a Star Wars lego set that the pieces are way too tiny for him. She always wants to open things on the spot and then gets mad when he doesn't play with it. She also buys him movies (nothing "bad" but just not on his level) and when he doesn't sit for them she gets sad, and says he doesn't like anything she gets. We've gently mentioned more age appropriate, but she NEVER gets it! Any suggestions?

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2012 in Relationships

• I should also mention it's not the gifts that annoy me, its the fact that she is expecting a certain reaction! Of course, if she couldn't ever get him any gift that would be MORE than fine, it's just the fact that she gets hurt and huffy around my DS like it's his fault!
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• I would suggest you getting a gift for his birthday that he and your MIL can enjoy like classes at gymboree that she can take him to or a day at the zoo, or jump/ game place. that way you know its age appropriate and she can get the satisfaction of seeing him enjoy himself while he's with her.
    SavvyLondon

Answer by SavvyLondon at 3:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Go window shopping with her and point out:
    "Oh DS would love this, this is in his age range"?

IDK- she sounds psycho, most people after being told and able to read the age range on toys know better, sorry I am not more help.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Tell her if she wantsa to choose something he is interested in go shopping WITH him, and you.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Great ideas ladies!! I love the idea of a zoo day WITH her. I will definitely throw that out there...thanks so much!
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• And yes feral...she's a little "different" we'll say :)
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Insist on going shopping with her for those gifts, and as the others have suggested, include her in planned activities. I think she is trying to show her love but is just slightly off base.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:54 PM on Jun. 12, 2012