Imagine if the tables were turned. . .

and atheists acted like the more vocal "This is a Christian Nation" people, were the majority, and tried to run rough-shod over everyone else the way the Religious Right is trying to do.

If Atheists Acted Religious

This is mostly for fun (it's been quiet here, lately), but also consider it food for thought.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 3:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2012 in Religious Debate

• – collapse
    You must be talking about upside down land.
    It exists on CM.
    I don't think about atheists anymore, they don't exist.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 4:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2012 (hidden) + expand

• – collapse
    As far as the video...Referring to A christian child as an animal...how is that possible when Darwinism basically says that humans are animals?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 4:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2012 (hidden) + expand

• Your points are a little wonky, jjb. They make no sense. Maybe you didn't get the gist of the video? Shall I explain it? You see, turn it all around, and those are the messages we get every day in life from a certain sort of Christian - the sort who thinks that what's wrong with America is that kids aren't led in prayers at public schools. . . the sort who think it's okay to tell everyone to rise and bow their heads while a prayer to Jesus is spoken over a microphone at the start of a public county commission meeting. . . the sort who think that their religion's commandments should be posted in courthouses. . . etc. . . Thankfully, I must add, not all Christians feel that way.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Well, as evidenced by what we see posted here constantly, those tables have been turned for quite a while. If you had your way, you'd be running roughshod over everything of tradition in this country. You'd make the entire country bland and colorless. The place where hyper-political correctness rules the day. Where religion is shoved into a church on Sunday, never to leave the parish parking lot.
    As stated here repeatedly, Atheism is not a religion, it is a lack of religion.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• You're wrong, adnilm. I have no wish to take away your beliefs or your traditions. I just don't want them imposed on me or in laws that affect me. Otherwise, I think everyone should have the freedom to believe what they want, and celebrate what they want - again, with the understanding that no one has more religious rights than anyone else. That's something that many seem to have forgotten.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• You're wrong, adnilm. I have no wish to take away your beliefs or your traditions. I just don't want them imposed on me or in laws that affect me. ~ js

If you expect people to change when/where they practice their religion, just because you do not practice it, you absolutely are trying to impose your beliefs and practices on others just as much as you accuse them of doing to you.

Do you not understand that telling someone not to pray is as overbearing and rude as you feel being asked to remain quiet long enough for someone to pray is. The difference is that no one expects you to pray, or even pretend. All that's asked of those who don't believe in that god is to be respectful. If that alone is disrespectful, than so is telling people not to pray because you don't.

Both of those options show no respect for what 'anyone' (and I mean that across the board) believes or practices. Both are just as wrong.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• They HAVE removed prayer from public schools. People protest the Ten Commandments being in front of court houses, or saying the words "under God" in our pledge of allegiance. Pretty soon they'll want it off all the money too. Like it or not, this country was founded by Puritans who fled religious persecution. If Christian beliefs bother you so much, even tho they are not imposing them on you in your daily lives, then well, you can always leave! As soon as people started pulling away from the basic values & morals, things started going down hill. Now we have Snookie! AGH!!! OK- you can DV me now- but I say this with my head held high & the Lord in my heart. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Well, that's because having prayer in government meetings, prayer led by staff in public schools, and posting the Ten Commandments in courthouses have been determined to be violations of the First Amendment Establishment Clause.

You are in no way prevented from practicing your beliefs and worshipping as you choose.  You can pray anywhere, anytime.  If you feel that your right to practice your religion has been violated by not having the Ten Commandments (only about four of which actually reflect any of our laws, by the way) posted in public courthouses, please elaborate.  I'd like to know how your rights have been affected. 

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• I could ask the same of you- if you are asked to appear in court & swear on a Bible- what would you do? The oath itself includes the words "So help me God". It's just been interwoven into our ways of doing things, b/c the founding father saw fit to do that it that way. They also saw to it that you have the freedom to practice or not practice your religion, but I find it very disturbing that this seems to be the only country that is made to feel ashamed or is attacked for it's basic Christian values. Like we should be worried about offending someone by saying Merry Christmas. Give me a break. Try walking down the street in Saudi Arabia w/ your shorts, a tank top & a pair of flip flops & no facial coverings- then talk to me about freedom of religion or freedom in general. God Bless America!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• I could ask the same of you- if you are asked to appear in court & swear on a Bible- what would you do?

Physically placing ones hand on a Bible and swearing an oath is not required, nor was it ever legally enforceable. The court gives those giving testimony the option of "swearing an oath" or making an affirmation to tell the truth as to the best of their knowledge.

So, that's a mute point.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2012