If a baby/toddler/kid is big does it make them slower than others?

I have to say I am upset about some answers given in another post about a baby being big. One reply says that the baby will be slow since being so fat.
My DD was born 9 lbs 11 oz and 21 inches tall . She did EVERYTHING early but get teeth . We get so many people say how smart she is and how verbal she is at 2 years old. My mom is a 1 st grade teacher and my DD talks better than 90 % of her kids in her class .
It just offends me that someone can say that heavier kids are slower than average kids.
My DD eats healthy and is extremely active she's just big 37 lbs and 41 inches at 2 year old.
Do others really think bigger kids are slower????????

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 1:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• no you can be smart and obese.... unless they meant slower speed wise like running ;]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my son who's 9 months is bigger and slower but my other son who was even bigger now 3 but when he was younger was much faster so really no i think its just how the baby wants to learn for i think my 9 month is too busy watching his siblings to care about learning faster who knows but no to ur question
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 1:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• No I don't believe it makes them any slower. My daughter was born 8pds 3 oz and weight more than anyother 2 yrold i knew and she is as smart as a whip and do things faster than some other 2 yr olds. Now she is about to be 3 she is more active and starting to slim down. So I don't believe that it has anything to do with them being slow. So don't worry chubby babies are fun. I would just say when they get older we will need to teach them the good food from the bad.
    mrs.blankenship

Answer by mrs.blankenship at 1:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• You are totally correct!!! Bigger babies are NOT "slower" than anyone else. My dr told me not to be surprised if my DS hit early milestones late cause of his heft (8lb 13oz 21" at birth, now at 10mos he is 30lbs 30"), but he has hit them all on time, or early. In fact, he has been cruising since he was 7 months, and is now cutting all four molars after getting 8 teeth in just over 6 months. He is NOT fat, but is just big...built just like his 6'1" 250 lb dad. Dr also told us to expect a 6' plus kid. His cousins are built the same too.

However, if you're feeding your baby cereal at 2 weeks and jarred food at 2 months (like the other post), then I would worry about development.
    Fourbymom

Answer by Fourbymom at 1:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• that is the dumbest thing iv ever heard of in my life. My son wasnt a big baby at birth he was only 7 lbs 9oz. But let me tell you he got chunky monkey fast lol he likes to eat lol. He was what most would call a fat baby he was always in the 90% tile when he would go to the dr infact wic told me to put him on a diet he was 3 months. What kind of diet was i suppose to put him on he was breastfeed thats it lol. He walked early at 9months, talked early the only thing is he didnt get teeth early. Hes now 7 and in first grade he is so smart it scares me. hes always been a very smart child.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I don't think she meant SLOW as in mentally. Chunkier babies have a tendency to not roll or crawl as early because of their weight, and it's not a bad thing nor is it detrimental. I have no problem admitting that my DD didn't roll over until after 6 months because she was such a chunky baby...

I would hope people don't think that the bigger the baby, the dumber the are lol.That would be moronic to think.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Our pediatrician told us to expect our big boys (always in the 90th + percentiles...even the 36 weeker) to do things early because they had to develop stronger muscles earlier...it takes more muscle for them to move their arm than a baby below the 50th percentile kind of thing....

My big guys hit all their gross motor skills early.

In all honesty...I don't think it matters how big a baby is, really. If the parents work with them, play with them, give them floor play time, etc...as opposed to sitting them in a seat and leaving them all day...they're going to move quicker!

(I'm not sure but I think them being tummy sleepers *might* have helped them with their early motor skills...rolling and sitting.)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Sheeyat.

I've ALWAYS been overweight. I was also the tallest kid in my class until 6th grade. I was 5'6" by the time I was 10.

I was a brilliant child, I've always had an active imagination and I was always on the honor roll and always got A's and B's. The only class I ever failed was a film critic class, and that was when I was a senior and it was mostly because the teacher was a bitch and I defiantly skipped the exam because I didn't agree with her teaching methods.

The only thing I've never been good at are sports. I never wanted to be good at sports, either. I played soccer as a child even though I was overweight. I did NJROTC in high school, and believe me, that program is much more athletic than you'd think.

Whoever said overweight kids are "slow" is sadly, sorely mistaken. I'd like to give them a big punch in the face. Or sit on them, either one.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• no, my first born was 9 lbs 3 oz and she did everything early! my youngest (at the time) was 9 lbs 8 oz and he was on target for everything. it's all up to them. although sometime drs say that with bigger babies sometimes it may take them a little bit longer to sit or walk since they have the extra weight. (not that they need to diet or anything for goodness sake) but they just have to gain the strength. don't worry........
    kymberlia

Answer by kymberlia at 3:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My youngest was 10 lbs. 6 oz 223/4" at birth. He's still in the 90-some % for height and 80-some for weight. He rolled over the day after he was born and continued to do so. He crawled early, but sat up late. He walked... eh... average for my kids. He knew all of his capital letters by sight at 22 months, could count to and recognize numbers to 100 by 2.5 and by 3 he was counting to 300+ and knew and could write all of his upper and lower case letters. He's 3 1/2 and is starting to read. Nothing slow about this kiddo. He did almost everything waayyy before my other kids. Every kid learns and does things at their own pace regardless of size :-)
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 3:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2009