Just wanting to know if any one out there has a child from age 5 up with ADD and what are you doing for it. My son just turned 6 last Sunday, and he cannot stop talking. He talks constantly and is getting in trouble at school. I've recently changed our diet (trying!!) and he is taking omega 3 vitamins. Help!!

harleyandblaize

Asked by harleyandblaize at 1:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was diagnosed with it when he was younger. We tried everything and ended up putting him on medication and doing counseling with a behavior therapist. Both together helped alot.

Answer by gemgem at 1:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my steep son has add and bi polar he has to take pills 4 times a day and he is taking adult doses and he still a hyper and lashes out every once in a while
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 1:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• We are not willing to medicate. Just wanting to know if anyone has changed diet or has done some thing else, besides meication.
    harleyandblaize

Answer by harleyandblaize at 1:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my son who is 7 was told he had add at the age of 5 when he got into kindergarden. We have chosen to not medicate him i dont know that i truly believe in ADD i think its just another way for them to have a calmer child in class. We changed our diets and went by what our dr suggested she to was against medicating him. We also did a daily vitamin with a omega 3 vitamin. At night we give him a 3mg dose of melatonine it seems to help him sleep. We have no problems with him what so ever he is doing really well school and yes he is still your hyper active little guy but hey hes a boy! Hes not a trouble maker and hes being good in class. Good luck and im glad to hear you arnt going to medicate him.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Blaize is having trouble sitting still in school and not finishing his work. We have meet with his teacher and she said that is very bright and is functioning on the 2nd grade level. She said he is not bored that he cannot help his self. He's pretty good other wise, having just turned 6. He's a beatuiful child, I just want to head off any problems in the future.

Thanks for all the answers.
    harleyandblaize

Answer by harleyandblaize at 2:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I think Add is a product of our culture, i don't believe in it and i think our education system needs to make changes...there are far too many instances of these so called problems with "boys". boys are physical and need more time than girls to get the academics. children need more nature/outdoors unstructured play time.

My son was traveling the same path at his last school, we were getting called in for conferences because he could not sit still and was disruptive in the learning centers where he could not do the work without someone helping him...or touching and playing while in the circle time. i don't know, we heard the teachers out and in the end felt this was all very developmental -- we ultimately decided to change schools. it's been better since although not perfect. best

some books we have found indispensable:
    Raising Cain emotional life of boys
    Last Child in the Woods Richard Louv
    Punished by Rewards Alfie Co
    Vickalini

Answer by Vickalini at 3:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son in ADHD, diagnosed in kindergarten. I was told that he would not be able to pass 1st grade unless i took action. I always knew that he was more active starting when he was 2. I was not able to leave the house many times after his brother was born, was not able to manage the 2 together. If he was not strapped in a stroller then it was always a disaster.
    He is now in 2nd grade, he is medicated and we have to spend many hours on reading and spelling each week. He is mildly medicated, it helps him get through class and perform his work, it does not affect our evenings at all. He is off the wall-hyperactive and constantly in trouble. On weekends I was not medicating him, but then he had sleeping issues, not able to fall asleep or stay asleep without his medication.
    I medicate my son to give him the ability to learn and achieve a normal life, otherwise he would continue to fail and I am not going to allow that.
    jill2boyz

Answer by jill2boyz at 9:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yeap, been there done that. Got a dx of ADHD and put off medication for a year and a half till I realized her education and home life were more important than me not medicating her. I went through 3 psychologist trying to do something different. Finally after going to restaurants and her not being able to sit still to EAT we relented and got her on Strattera. She's the little girl I always wanted, NORMAL. Her aggressive behavior, bossiness, hyperactivity and focus straightened out within a couple of weeks. She can now sit still and shut up long enough to EAT. LOL. Classic ADHD. In a year or two, I'll get her off to see how she does.
    Rosies45

Answer by Rosies45 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Our son is borderline adhd. We've done a lot with diet and how we handle him and he's doing excellent now. He's very, very intelligent (a bad combination with hyper-activity!). Here's a list of some things we've done:
    Limit TV (children's brains can not accept the amount of information that comes at them and it is definitely a trigger for our son)
    Make sure they're getting enough sleep - our son needs more sleep than his peers and if he doesn't get it, you can tell.
    Limit or eliminate dairy -- especially milk (this one took care of our son's impulse control issues).
    Limit or eliminate wheat
    Add an omega 3 supplement
    Add probiotics
    Behaviour modifying -- use a coin system where he gets coins when you catch him doing good things and make him pay you for disobeying. He then gets to cash in his coins for a reward when he earns a certain amount
    Look into some relaxation techniques and massage
    Swanny97

Answer by Swanny97 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• With my daughter, we made it into a game with her teacher. She had talking issues, as well as ticks 9clearing her throat, sniffing her nose). So we would time her and see how long she would go without inturrupting class. And then gave her rewards such as stickers, pencils, books, etc. It seemed to work pretty well. She did still have her bad days, but they greatly improved, and now she is 12, and we just need to inform her she is doing it and she controls it.
    InsaneMommaOf6

Answer by InsaneMommaOf6 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2009